Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I lifted the engine from my 2600, both the engine mounts fell apart. Yes, i had unbolted them before lifting the engine! Has anyone managed to re-bond the steel plate to the rubber? Both the rubber and the plates are in good condition and it's a shame to chuck them away and spend £130 if I don't have to.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
I have no direct experience but when doing some preliminary research for having 2600 SZ engine mounts made (which mount the engine 8-10 mm lower than regular 2600 engine mounts), I was told that bonding rubber to metal is tricky (with many pitfalls) and testing required until the curing/bonding process and therefore the product becomes reliable.

One particular problem that would require research is defining the hardness requirements of the rubber under static and dynamic loads and shear forces that result from such loads. Nobody would even go near guessing what the answer to this question might be (particularly because the existing rubber mounts may not serve as a good model as their properties may have changed after 50 years of ageing).

Then, when we talked quantities and I mentioned 50-100 units, it became clear very quickly that the efforts required would not allow creating an economical solution -- even on a trial basis with no performance guarantees by suppliers.

Now, that being said, I agree that there must be some kind of a repair solution. It may be worthwhile to talk to representatives from Loctite and Lord Adhesives about what solutions they propose for bonding vulcanized rubber to metal. I heard about Loctite 380 and Chemlok 256, but they may have other lines of adhesives that suits our application better. Also, somebody suggested trying urethane bonds that windshield installers use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts