Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm finally back in the club as I have recently purchased a 73 GTV. I've replaced all the "rubber" in the suspension. I've headed down that slippery slope and purchased springs, KONI's, better bushings, GTA replica wheels (german) Yokohama 205 tires, drilled rotors and breakpads and now i'm looking to WES INGRAM for the SPICA modification. I need help with engine modifications.

I take this car to the track and Mike Besic is my mechanic here in the suburbs of Chicago.

Any thoughts!!!

Thanks in advanace

Michael

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi Michael, may you please tell me more about replacing all the rubbers in the suspension? And the GTA replicas?
Like where did you get them, how hard it is to install without special tools? Thank you :D

Regarding your questions, my 73 GTV came with a HP Spica pump (155hp i think) by Wes Ingram & other mods (AutoDelta FI cam, high comp piston, header, ansa, etc) installed by the PO, since I haven't driven a stock 2000, I don't quite know the difference. :(

The only thing I know is my GTV idles pretty rough, and the engine doesn't become alive until after 3500rpm.
But still pretty drivable on the street.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I did similar modifications to my '73GTV.

Started with mild porting of the head- mainly to clean up casing marks and cutting tool marks. New stock valves and a good valve job followed. The head was finished with the mild 10.5mm Ingram street cams- very nice BTW.

Block- new pistons/rods- 10.4:1 compression...

Intake- cleaned up the manifold per Wes' instructions (there is a major taper at the end). And got a nice surface finish on the whole thing.

Stock iron exhaust manifolds, custom stainless exhaust the rest of the way.

I set my car up mainly to autocross, and it's quite fun on the track as well. It also makes it very easy to run on the street, as its not an overly peaky engine, while still pulling to an indicated 7500rpm (no idea the reality of the tach).

Eric

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Michael, I am considering many of the same mods on my '74 GTV, also in the Chicago suburbs. I'm assuming you are the same Michael that was at Blackhawk a few weeks ago?

I rebuilt my engine with 10:1 Motronic pistons, very mild port polishing, a good valve job with stock size valves, and Euro 2000 cams. Although quite pleased with the overall result, I am planning to build my spare head with big intake valves and somewhat hotter cams. I'm trying to decide between a performance Spica pump or Webers right now.

Drop me your email off list at [email protected] if you'd like to share notes as the projects move forward. BTW, are you satisfied with the oversteer problem now?

Erik

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine modifications

Chan...

My reference to the "rubber" replacements

All the bushings: All poly

front arm bushing
trunion pushing
sway bar bushings

new adjustable control arm
IAP springs
lower control arm
ball joint

Donut
drive shaft support (it was so bad; drive shaft resting on metal bracket)

Wheels GTA REPLICAS

Although they appear to be available from IAP I don't know if they stock them. My brother imports them and if you're interested I'll forward that information.

14x6 aluminum

$275 each

Does anyone have experience with a Alfa Twin Spark engine??

Michael

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Engine modifications

Thank you Michael for all the info.

Are they all standard OEM bushing or aftermarket "performance" bushing?
Did you do the job yourself? Or should I bring it to a shop.

Thank you again. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chan

The bushing's we installed are of a colorful mix!

Some poly; some stock-from IAP and a company in Boston.

My brother and I did the work on the suspension: ball joints, bushings springs, shocks etc.

I had Mike Besic the mechanic work on the brakes and donut.

Tie rods, ball joints didn't seem too difficult to work with but my brother has experience with this work so.......don't think a would of done it without him.

If you need to remove the ball joints...get a puller!!! I used a fork and it took alot of energy to beat them loose.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts