Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain the identification marks on the front of the cylinder head, that indicate the capacity? I understand that the circles, squares and lines show whether an engine is a 1300, 1600,1750 or 2000. Thanks, Peter

·
Registered
153 Posts
OK, but what about an engine with a symbol of a fish in a circle? It has a 2.0 next to it so I assume it's a 2 litre. I found it in a farmers barn. Looks like it's in good condition. I'll get a photo and engine number if needed for better identification.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
It's not a fish, it's the greek letter "alfa". ;)
Better to look at the engine number at the bellhousing on the exhaust side, that holds more information.

·
Registered
153 Posts
OK so the engine number on the fish engine is: AR01655*101195* - anything you could tell me would be appreciated.

Is there somewhere I can look this information up myself? I had a look at the veloce.nu site but it seems to be sleeping.

Cheers, M

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I haven't got a list or something, just the ones I have worked with myself but it's the first part that tell the tale *01655*, this number is often the reference numer in workshop manuals and spec sheets.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
This engine is from a 1979-81 Alfetta GTV 2000 Turbodelta. The web site www.carsfromitaly.com (navigate to "Alfa Romeo" and then to "Alfetta / GTV / GTV6") says about these cars:
The arrival of the Alfetta GTV 2000 Turbodelta, also in 1979, gave the range a serious performance model. Developed for rallying (Group 4) by Autodelta, the engine was turbocharged to produce 175bhp (compression ratio down to 7.1:1, 9psi boost, KKK turbocharger, blow through carburettors), the suspension was modified and they all had matt black bonnets.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So, last question, would this engine be compatiable with my 74' GTV 2000? I was thinking of it as a possible project motor to rebuild, but just noting the compression ratio and turbocharger I'm wondering if it is possible.

·
Registered
528 Posts
tubut said:
This engine is from a 1979-81 Alfetta GTV 2000 Turbodelta. The web site www.carsfromitaly.com (navigate to "Alfa Romeo" and then to "Alfetta / GTV / GTV6") says about these cars:
No, this information is incorrect.

The AR01655 engines were used in the Giulietta Nuova 2.0 Super, Lusso, the Alfetta GTV 2.0, 2.0 Grand Prix and Alfetta 2.0, 2.0 Lusso and 2.0 QO.

Basically it is your bog-standard, carbed, 2 liter transaxle Nord engine and nothing exotic like a Turbodelta. The Turbodelta had engine type ARO1699.

It is fairly easy to fit it in a 105 chassis although not a direct bolt-in. You need to have the crank drilled in order to mate it to the input shaft of your gearbox. Furthermore the oilpan is different (deep, not bat-wing), oil pump is different and the Alfetta/Giulietta may have had an electronic rev counter and consequently you need to fit a different front cover to the engine in order to connect the mechanical rev counter of your GTV.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
kroehl said:
No, this information is incorrect.
I took the information from D'Amico & Tabucchi's book, which must be about as inaccurate as Fusi. The Alfetta GTV 2000 Turbodelta was the first car where I saw this engine listed in the headline.

After your post, I went back to double check and saw the 01655 engine also listed for the Giulietta Super (116 A1), including the Nuova Giulietta L 2.0 (116 A1A) and Giulietta 2.0 ti. For the Alfetta GTV 2000, the book says in the headline that the engine is type 01623, but smaller print then confirms that Alfetta GTV 2000 L (116.36A), Alfetta GTV 2000 (116.36B) and GTV 2000 (116.36C) had the 01655 engine.

So, the headlines in D'Amico & Tabucchi's book must be been wrong for both Alfetta GTV 2000 Turbodelta and the Alfetta GTV 2000.

Thank you for the correction.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Manx said:
So, last question, would this engine be compatiable with my 74' GTV 2000?
Yes, the engine will fit into a Bertone GT (with the batwing oilpan, of course). BUT, make sure that the rear of the crank has a provision for a pilot bushing for the input shaft of the front mounted trans. If it doesn't, the crank will either have to be drilled to accept a bushing or a crank from a 2l front trans car will need to be used.

I have the 01655 engine listed as being fitted to no less than 15 different models! :eek: I'll post the list if interested.

·
Registered
528 Posts
A good resource for model history on-line is at alfisti.net (working knowledge of German is an advantage though not necessarily a prerequisite). The advantage of their listings is that it is per production year and seems fairly accurate and comprehensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good day! Even this is a very old post just wondering if you could check my engine as well... It's an AR16000*55851, is fitted on my Junior GT with VIN 10530*0004466 and certainly is not the original engine of the car. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
426 Posts
Good day! Even this is a very old post just wondering if you could check my engine as well... It's an AR16000*55851, is fitted on my Junior GT with VIN 10530*0004466 and certainly is not the original engine of the car. Thanks!
Engine was fitted in an Alfetta or Giulietta.

Look here:

https://www.alfisti.net/alfa-forum/o...is-1986-a.html

Salutations from the Baltic Sea

Bernhard

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have seen this topic but still my engine is not listed. A while ago I found this (see photo) on the back side of the block...
20200315_103807.jpg

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have seen this topic but still my engine is not listed. A while ago I found this (see photo) on the back side of the block... View attachment 1617070
Have you measured the distance from the top of the water pump to the bottom of the cylinder head. This will tell if 1300 or 1600 or 1750/2000. Also what is the oil filter type. And pictures.

Ken

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you measured the distance from the top of the water pump to the bottom of the cylinder head. This will tell if 1300 or 1600 or 1750/2000. Also what is the oil filter type. And pictures.

Ken
Distance is about 38-40mm. The filter is the newer replaceable type. Carburators are Dellorto 40 DHLA H and the main jets are 150 which seems to be small for 2.0 L but this is questionable... The photo is from front side of the head. Oil dipstick is to the exhaust side.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
that measurement (38/40mm) would be a 2 litre block.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Distance is about 38-40mm. The filter is the newer replaceable type. Carburators are Dellorto 40 DHLA H and the main jets are 150 which seems to be small for 2.0 L but this is questionable... The photo is from front side of the head. Oil dipstick is to the exhaust side.
Well it looks like you have a mystery engine alright OR your measurement tools or skills need improvement.

I just measured a 1750 and a 2 litre block at 35 mm top of flat part of water pump to head/block joint.

1300 is 0.0 mm and 1600 22mm

That 3 inside the circle indicates the head was cast in a year ending in 3. so 1973, 1983, 1993. The 5 dots (or is it 7) indicated month of May. Of course the head may not be original to the engine.

Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts