Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all How do I determine what engine I have without a serial number? I have checked on the block by the dist. / fuel pump and on the rear flange, exhaust side. No numbers. :confused:
Brian

·
Premium Member
22,637 Posts
If no numbers either place, it's likely a factory replacement block, which came without numbers. It's a 2000 with spin-on filter? Spica front cover? If so, it's a US-spec 2000 in the AR01500 series, but could be a later replacement Spider 116 series block too. Functionally doesn't really matter.
Andrew

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

Hi Andrew Might of helped if I had added the pics from the start. Should be a 1600 according to PO.
Brian

·
Premium Member
22,637 Posts
Didn't realize it was a 1600; the engine number would be on the boss behind the distributor.
Pretty hard to tell much from the picture. If the head nuts are 17mm, it's a 1600 or 1300. If 19mm, it's 1750 (assuming it has a canister filter, not a spin-on filter). An 00526 Super, 00536 GTV/Duetto, or 00514 TI block all look pretty much the same.
Andrew

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Andrew I had the carbs off and replaced the distributor at the same time and there wasn't a number on the boss. It does have a spin on oil filter but it is an adapter style.
I will check the head bolt nuts.
Thanks Brian

·
Premium Member
22,637 Posts
Yeah, most likely a factory replacement block, unless someone machined off the engine number, which can happen.
Also, the 1750 block is taller than the 1600, but I don't have dimensions offhand to tell you the difference. The head casting has different marks. A 1600 should have a + symbol; a 1750 should have a triangle. Though even they are interchangeable to an extent.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
you must look at the front of the head and you will see a casting mark, and with this table you can define your engine, I hoop it helps, cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Added thought!

Just as an aside, your plastic fan is on backwards. It is probably a 2000 fan which doesn't mount correctly on a 1600 waterpump, so people often put them on backwards.
KG

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Distance from the top of the waterpump to the top of the engineblock

you must look at the front of the head and you will see a casting mark, and with this table you can define your engine, I hoop it helps, cheers
Hello Brian,

And the distance between the top of the waterpump and the top of the engineblock is:

0 mm on a 1300cc (flush)
25 mm on a 1600 cc
40 mm on a 1750cc and 2000cc

Ciao, Olaf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts