Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main concern is for my Alfetta GT, but can one sit in traffic in their GTV6 or Milano with the A/C running full blast, and the car doesn't overheat? The radiators on your cars are very large and with the two large fans, should cool pretty well - but would like your thoughts.

Back to Alfetta's...short of louvering the hood, I don't see any way to get the heat out of the engine bay. Yes, you can always pop the hood, but. I love louvers, but my dislike for my engine to get rained on (including car washing) outweighs louvers.

Is it a matter of going with a larger radiator or is it pretty much a guarantee your Alfetta will overheat, in any event, when you get in a traffic jam on a very warm to very hot day (and not even think of having the A/C running)?

Please keep in mind this is very sunny So.Cal.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I was in the middle of Boston last summer. Had to pull over and let it cool. My Ac is busted but I'm sure having that condenser in front of the radiator with 1 fan just ain't gonna do it. Bad engineering!! I never though of this but could a GTV6 radiator be put in a Fetta? That may be a solution. 2 fans and a bigger radiator

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,101 Posts
I've never had trouble with the 2.5 Milano running hot, A/C or no.

When the radiator started leaking, I replaced it with the thicker 3.0 radiator as a drop-in upgrade. But as I never had any issues with the original radiator I haven't really noticed any performance difference.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The GTV6 radiator will fit with some very small mods to the lower radiator support panel at the bottom corners of where the radiator would sit. You will never have overheating issues again.

You can also get thermostats that open at a reduced temperature.

Also fit a manual fan switch inside the car. Make sure you leave the automatic system in place as well.

As a side note I drove through new south wales in 09 in 40 -45 degree heat in my alfetta fish tank/magnifying glass. I was so bloody hot i pulled over and removed the thermostat and blocked the bypass hose just to try to get the in cabin temps down. I also grabbed the smoking windows and clean broke the adjusters so i could turn the windows right around to channel air in side the car. That dam heat will send a man crazy lol

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,698 Posts
The last Alfetta radiator I saw only had one fan, on half the radiator. I assume that if you have 2 fans covering more of the radiator, you'd do ok.

The hot air will flow out from under the car if you pull enough air through the radiator.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes you could fit a second fan (two aftermarket ones). Also the radiator can be enlarged (extra core). You could also get an ally one made. There are a few options and personally I like the gtv6 radiator because its just so dam big. It is bloody heavy so for a racer a light ally one would be nice. Also the gtv6 radiator runs a header tank and not an expansion tank so you have to change the plumbing in the engine bay.

·
Banned
764 Posts
One trick I learned was to install the dual electric fans from the Maserati Bitrouble. I think it's the same set up as the twin turbo Callaway GTV6s.

You simply lift the radiator up and backwards w/o disconnecting the plumbing, slip the fan shroud under the radiatopr and slide it back in place. The bottom it locked under the radiator and use self tapping screws to the top radiator fin. They're a perfect fit. Then just swap the plug connectors and you're done. It is a tight fit when installing particularly if you use the "Tropicaire" A/C fans like I have. One motor is larger than the other.

I've never had a problem since even in summer Phoenix and Florida with the A/C on. The fan blades are much more efficient than those crappy GTV6 originals.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
there's a product out there called "water wetter" I believe that I used years ago and it does indeed work. As to the "louvers on the hood" thought. Not for me as @ one time I drove my Alfetta GTV around w/o the hood and the amount of crud that would get all over the car was incredible.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Yes, forgot about this one. 'Water Wetter' works well. Several manufacturers like Redline and Royal Purple.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Caution re hood louvres - unless they are right near the front of the engine they may be counter productive and actually draw air into the engine bay, rather than drawing out out of the bay, therefore reducing the flow that goes through the radiator. This is due to the low pressure area in front of the screen (good place for an engine intake, but a bad place to vent the engine bay).

The Turbodelta kit involved some vents in the inner guards that sucked air out - sorry I don't have any pictures.

Another option is to fit a spoiler under the car to accelerate the air after the radiator and increase the draw-through (lots of modern cars have this). The space around the sump isn't ideal for this (a bit narrow) but should work reasonably well.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Caution re hood louvres - unless they are right near the front of the engine they may be counter productive and actually draw air into the engine bay, rather than drawing out out of the bay, therefore reducing the flow that goes through the radiator. This is due to the low pressure area in front of the screen (good place for an engine intake, but a bad place to vent the engine bay).
Don't you mean 'high pressure'?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
My 75 3 litre never gets hot, even on 40+ days with aircon running. As long as the radiator is good, water pump OK, fan and thermo switch working and plumbing OK you should have no problem. There is no need for a separate switch in my opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a GTV-6 radiator for sale if anyone wants it. Worked fine, no overheating issues. Fans too. Make an offer (PM please) - help me finance my twin turbo project!

Cheers,

Cade

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Biba,

I bought an Alfetta new in '77, and used it as my daily driver for 10 years and never had any sort of overheating problem. I was living in the Pasadena area at the time and as you probably know it gets pretty hot there in the summer, and I always had the A/C running. All I did was a coolant system flush every few years. I had a friend who also bought an Alfetta at the same time and also never had a cooling problem. (My Vette on the other hand always seemed to want to overheat.)

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cade, good, you're handy(ish). Could you measure the length of the radiator for me please? I don't want to have to start cutting to make room for it. But right now I'm for overkill, cooling wise.

And are both fans in good running condition?

·
Banned
764 Posts
Here's a couple of quick fotos of the Biturbo radiator cooling fans on the GTV6. Minus the leaves naturally. These fans pull so much air through, I've never seen both on at once except when I manually tested them.

Attachments

·
Banned
764 Posts
Forgot to mention how this happened. My fans were shot when I got this car in '04 so I called IAP as they advertised replacement cooling fans. They were NLA and they ran these for years afterwards. I checked my Biturbo and found they might fit and a reliable source said they would. Off to Evilbay and $60 USD + shipping later that's it. I also have a spare which can go to either car.

Of course, you can spend $1000 USD for the set up that IAP is now selling.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
My main concern is for my Alfetta GT, but can one sit in traffic in their GTV6 or Milano with the A/C running full blast, and the car doesn't overheat? The radiators on your cars are very large and with the two large fans, should cool pretty well - but would like your thoughts.

Back to Alfetta's...short of louvering the hood, I don't see any way to get the heat out of the engine bay. Yes, you can always pop the hood, but. I love louvers, but my dislike for my engine to get rained on (including car washing) outweighs louvers.

Is it a matter of going with a larger radiator or is it pretty much a guarantee your Alfetta will overheat, in any event, when you get in a traffic jam on a very warm to very hot day (and not even think of having the A/C running)?

Please keep in mind this is very sunny So.Cal.
Can't remember if the stock Alfetta radiator is a 2 row or a 3 row, but having it recored and turned into a 3 row would help.

Add a second fan, or replace the original fan with a higher output aftermarket fan.

Performance coat the headers and down pipes, which are the source of most of the heat in the engine compartment. That alone will result in a significant drop in underhood temps.

bs

1 - 20 of 50 Posts