Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
74 Spider- I need a new fan for my engine. I noticed International offers a European Fan with thinner blades that they say will draw less power from the motor.

Does anyone have an opinion or thoughts on using this fan? I am also switching to Evan's Waterless coolant.

Thanks!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,374 Posts
Well, it's a trade off between cooling at idle and power. I don't drag race so I'm more concerned about keeping the engine properly cooled than maybe losing a couple HP: I went with the standard fan when I replaced mine.

Evans has been discussed quite a bit: try a search. Personally I wouldn't use the stuff, but it's your car.

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
I now only use the Euro style, thin blade fans on my 2, 1600 engines, one GTA, and the other an Ausca single plug race engine. Racing, when a fan was required, I used to run the small diameter GTA race fan. It offers no real cooling, but does not explode at high rpm. The euro fan is a compromise. Less power to spin it at high rpm, but good cooling at low speeds, unlike the GTA fan.
These thin blade fans can still explode at high rpm, particularly as they age, or if improperly attached. Years ago we used to boil them in hot water for ten minutes to (theoretically) reduce stresses. This idea was stolen from model airplane nylon propeller users whose props would sometimes also explode. Does it work? I do not know. I have not had a thin blade fan blow up on a race engine. I did blow up a couple of the heavier thick blade, square ended fans back in the early 70's. Below is pictured the reduced diameter GTA fan.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd doubt the thinner blades add much to performance.

The real question for the gurus here isn't so much about a water pump driven fan of any size, but ditching that in favor of IAP's electric fans....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bin the fan and get an electric one - much less noise and tidies the engine bay up especially if you fit it as a pusher - also much quicker warm up and allegedly releases a few horses, also less strain on the belt and pump bearings, I've run my through some pretty hot days and its been fine, what's not to like.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Actually I am removing my electric fan. In the photo, you will see a thinner fan made by Perma Cool. It was in my car for about 25 years with no problems. I think the shaft is wearing because the blade does not seem to track true, just a bit of wobble. The company does not make a fan this thin anymore so I tried one from Centerline but it is wider and does not fit under the cross piece in front of the rad.

The Centerline fan (looks the same as IAPs), sits lower on the rad so I was hoping it would fit but the part of the car that it will sit under actually is at an angle so the fan cannot tuck under it. An I missing something? Photos attached.

Thanks again!

PS: I do not see how to attach photos on this newer format?

·
Registered
490 Posts
So your taking the electric one out and fitting an engine driven one? - its your choice of course but it seems a bit of a retrograde step - and using the waterless stuff, have you got problems with overheating?
The Centreline fan looks exactly the same as the UK "Accuspark" one I fitted - no it doesn't fit at the top of the rad so mine is set lower down with a bit of overlap on the bottom part of the rad - I just put some spacers on the mounts to stop the fan hitting the rad - has worked for two years now

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I'll take a look at mounting it lower. No over heating problems, just sick of coolant! I had the red out to paint engine bay over the winter and back out a couple times more dealing with this fan situation. Hate the small, stickyness etc. Thought it was a good time to make the swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts