Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine fan on my ‘73 Super broke a blade and I have a new one to replace it. I loosened the shroud and got the bolts off of the old fan, but can’t get the fan out. It will not fit between the radiator and the nose of the water pump pulley.

Any suggestions? Does the radiator have to be removed? Just asking before I bolt it back together and take it to a shop.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Normally yes. If you can get it to clear without taking out the radiator, great. Radiator on a 73 Super should come out with two bolts, one on each side, and there's a rubber saddle at the bottom that pops out. You will have to drain coolant.
Andrew

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shroud wouldn't be a problem, but I can't get the fan up past the shaft it mounts to. The gap between that shaft and the radiator is shorter than the fan itself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far so good. Radiator out and fan replaced. Going to have the radiator checked over before reinstalling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly, the motor mounts are not fresh so could have been caused that way. But the fan seemed original and I’ve been told they have potential of breaking due to age.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts