Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone shed some light on this matter, I have a 2003 Pre-Facelift Alfa Spider 2.0L Twin Spark. This car has been serviced regularly and as recent as 1st November 2014. The car has only got 91000Km on the clock.

The problem I have is this. The engine just cuts out at random times, hot or cold. There is not pattern to it. I replaced the Fuel Pump relay and the car started first time. I thought it was fixed until it cut out again at the traffic lights. I replaced the Fuel Pump with no luck. The engine cut out again.

Can anyone help as the above exercise has cost quite a bit and Alfa Repairers are keen to look at it, but not keen to part with knowledge.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Go up here above and click on the "Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums" and look up your make in the section list.

Dennis

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only real way with the 916 Spiders and GTVs is to hook up a diagnostic software and pull the codes. If you post on alfaowner UK under 916 Spider and GTV forum, there is a ton of good info on the 916 series cars.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be the MAF Sensor.........unplug the MAF sensor and if the problem goes away then your on the right path. If not then at least you have started the process of elimination and not chasing your tail before you go to a Alfa mechanic. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The only real way with the 916 Spiders and GTVs is to hook up a diagnostic software and pull the codes. If you post on alfaowner UK under 916 Spider and GTV forum, there is a ton of good info on the 916 series cars.

Good luck mate.
That's right and often the best way to avoid changing lots of parts and spending money in vain.
But often your symptoms is due to dirt in the MAS (air mass meter). The flap can be cleaned with WD40 or the likes and a cloth and the coil (at the end of the flap holder) with contact cleaner. It helps 50% of the time and cost not much or nothing if done your self. The MAS is the black plastic tube to the right of the engine cover.
Erik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts