Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88 Milano Verde has been sitting for a month in a unheated garage. Yesterday I installed a fresh battery and anticipated a easy start up. I wanted to get oil pressure up before starting the engine. I pulled the coil wire off the coil, the engine cranked normally and develped oil pressure. Replacing the coil wire back on, I had no joy of getting the old girl out for a spin.

My usual way to get oil pressure before start up to with the Giuliettas is by pulling the wire to the coil, but I do it differently with the 164LS. SInce the Milano has a coil I did not think it mattered but again the V6 3.0 that has ignition and fuel pump relays similar to the LS.

Is my non start related to my start up procedure, or should I look elsewhere?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe it is flooded. The fuel injection was running and the ignition wasn't. Unplug the cold start injector and floor the throttle.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got back to the storage garage today. I unplugged the cold start injector and floored the gas pedal.
Engine started right up.

What is the proceedure for cutting out the fuel and the ignition to crank the engine over for Spring start up?

Thank you so much for your help.

Frank La Sala

·
Administrator
17,765 Posts
Does the Milano have the switch in the AFM to trigger the fuel pump (like the GTV6)? If so, you can unplug the AFM or disconnect the air duct so the flap in AFM does not open. Or just start up the engine - the oil pressure will build up even faster that way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've never done these specifically for stopping the fuel feed.
Anyways disconnect:
double relay: I believe the injection computer will not get power anymore
or a nearby connector to the double relay: Fuel pump will not be energized
or AFM: Explained earlier
or the skinnier red wire from the battery post, as I recall, this one killed engine instantly. I believe it is power to injection computer. Somebody correct me if it isn't.

I messed with all of these to solve what turned out to be the hall effect sensor in the distributor. The red wire on the battery is easiest, the others require futzing about with difficult connectors.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pulling the coil wire and the red wire from the battery post or pulling the double relay.

Their must be a way to jump some

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the 164LS, there are two relays right side of the cross member thats supports the radiator / fan assembly.
One is a red strip which sends power to tboth motronic ECU and the fuel pump. THen I can crank over the engine and get oil presurre before firing up the engine.
I guess pulling one or both relays would do the same on the Milano?

Thanks for you help.

Milano drving nicely, gotta get to the rear wheel bearings. Airplane drone noise with turing to the right is getting tiring.

Frank

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's a single unit, it's just called a double relay, because....2 relays. I don't believe you can separate them, but I guess, it has 2 connectors, cant remember. That accesory red wire might be ignition, again can't recall, so just unplug the double relay.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the double relay has two connectors. Will just unplug both next time I need to crank the engine over without having it start.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1985 Spider Graduate
2 Posts
To the OP - just start your car. Trying to pre-oil by disabling the engine management systems is much more harmful than just starting the vehicle as it was designed to operate.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the point of the discussion. Trying not to confuse the management system or systems and find a easy way of bring the fuel line pressure and oil presurre up before start up in the spring when the engine has been sitting for a 4 months.

·
Premium Member
16,696 Posts
I personally don't think it is anything to worry about. Have never done this in any of our Alfas through the decades. Oil, being incompressible, gets everywhere pretty darn fast when the engine is started. Esp in a Milano, where it is started with your foot off the gas, at idle, therefore not revving it excessively on start up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Bosch system is designed for the engine to start without using the gas pedal. I suggest that it may be a moisture problem.

·
Premium Member
16,696 Posts
It is super easy to flood the Milano engine; and in that case, you push the throttle pedal all the way, with the cold start injector disconnected, and once it starts, you immediately let off the gas completely to let it idle. Had to just this with our Milano when I was fiddling with the assumed double relay problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts