Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

A new and last project requires a Montreal engine - or at least an 8 cylinder Alfa engine....

Purchased in Rome last year and currently being rebuilt. My engine builder is asking whether I want fuel injection or quadruple Webers...

Some of the other decisions are easier, already converted to twin plug and dry sumped but injection or Webers, leaves me stumped.

Have others gone down this route? And what consequences....

Thanks

Richard

·
Richard Jemison
7,071 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Richard

I think we have been in contact before, but thanks for that link to your thread, a search didn't reveal it!

Interestingly we are going for vertical Webers as in picci. The twin plug heads not yet installed....

It will take some time to read your full thread and absorb the detail of injection vs carbs but a happy read to distract me from FOne...

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Some of the other decisions are easier, already converted to twin plug and dry sumped but injection or Webers, leaves me stumped.

Richard
Hi Richard,

Just for the record the Montreal's came with dry sump lubrication. What did that conversion entail?

Also, I suspect there may be negative financial considerations, if or when you attempt to sell the car.

Would you please provide more information about the conversion to twin spark plugs? Mainly, will you be running twin distributors or some other sort of engine management system?

Mark

·
Registered
717 Posts
If I may ask... what is the output you are looking for? Also if there are some packaging constraints, i.e. height of engine...
If they (Alfa) were able to get 300 + HP out of a 2.0 liter version of the V8, then 300 plus should be achievable from a 2.6 to 3.0 liter. As far as out and out horsepower goes that counts less in my mind than how much Torque is available. Maybe you already have most of the answers, but as I mentioned earlier, what are the parameters required.
I know Richard Jemison has done a great job with his V8 running on Webers. Also the Dry Sump engine was developed to keep the overall height of the engine down, they were looking to race the Type 33. We were fortunate to get the same engine architecture to use in the Montreal...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Regretfully the engine and builder are not close to hand.... So cannot make comment about hp....

Promise to post when completed....

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts