Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to start a thread in "Picture Room" of "Awesome Engine Compartments". There have been 185 views but no pictures posted! I know you guys can contribute. We see 30 pages of pictures of rusty body panels and parts spread all over the floor during your restoration. Can't someone post a picture of the finished product (of under the hood)? Show us how proud you are of your work.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stand corrected (sort of).:) What I was thinking of was more of the way you would "design" the engine compartment if Alfa Romeo asked you to do it. You are the one working on the motor, you are the one placing the componentry for ease of service, you are the one showing off your work. While restoring a car to showroom condition will require everything as it was from the factory, those who race their cars or those who simply want their car to be "their's", perhaps would try to improve on what Alfa has given them. I have seen pictures of some engine compartments (Gary Williams' in particular) that are works of art. I am just curious about what and why they did what they did.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Engine bay of my 71 Gt1300Junior - 40years of not being touched !!!

Will post an image once I've finished with it at the weekend.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
ok i'll bite:)

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
sweet! very sweet

·
Registered
87 Posts
Under the hood of my GT Junior. Not a lot of original parts, 1600 engine instead of the 1300, GTA cooler, GTA airbox etc.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
@ Beezztie; have you got rid of the pump mounted fan & put an electric fan infront of the new radiator then ?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
How do you close the hood with the little oil tank filter sticking up?

Robert
Fish eye lenses makes it look high, but actually it clears the bonnet by 5mm. Wanted to get the catch tank as high as possible, but the bulkhead was a no go.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not sure why an electric fan's reliability would be an issue. Millions of cars have them. Also, except on hot days and while stuck in traffic, an Alfa gets along fairly well with no fan at all.

Shall I confess here that on a hot California summer day I drove for about three hours before the Alfa began to heat up? That's when I discovered that I'd wired my new electric pusher fan to run backward. It was sitting in front of the radiator, trying to push air away, instead of draw it in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not sure why an electric fan's reliability would be an issue. Millions of cars have them. Also, except on hot days and while stuck in traffic, an Alfa gets along fairly well with no fan at all.

Shall I confess here that on a hot California summer day I drove for about three hours before the Alfa began to heat up? That's when I discovered that I'd wired my new electric pusher fan to run backward. It was sitting in front of the radiator, trying to push air away, instead of draw it in.
Agreed Gary. I have noticed however that the thermoswitches can be bad...the first one I got failed almost immediately. The second seems to be fine. One thing I don't miss is the throbbing/droning sound coming from the engine driven fan now that it's been removed...plus it freed up a couple of horsepower! I just keep a regular eye on the temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Nilsen:

Quite nice but very different engine compartment than my '71 1750 bay.
The radiator seems to have a lot more front clearance and you don't have any brackets or screw holes. Did you remove stuff? What year is this?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts