Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to yank the engine/trans from my 74 spider (new clutch).

While it's out I'd like to clean/maintain the engine compartment. Car is red, 1 respray (same red), poor quality. Any suggestions for painting engine compartment (flat black?) or should I just pull everything, powerwash, and replace?

Kevin

·
Administrator
16,629 Posts
How bad is it? I'll bet that with the engine out and a good cleaning it'll look a lot better. Be careful with the power washer. It could inject water (and any chamicals/soaps you are using) into places it shouldn't be. I use engine degreaser sprays and a hose rinse. Use an old paint brush as needed before the rinse to loosen stubborn dirt/grime.

IMO, the engine bay looks best painted the same color as the body (the way it was done at the factory). Painting it black might be a compromise if the car has been repainted a different color than the original (and the engine bay is the old color).

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I would not paint it any other color other than to match the car itself. If you want to respray it yourself inexpensively, you might get some spray cans from Tower Paint to match the exterior. It'll require that you clean it really really good and prep it well if you want the paint to stick good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Be careful with the power washer. It could inject water (and any chamicals/soaps you are using) into places it shouldn't be.
Do not use a DAGNAMIT pressure wash on your Alfa.
My paint is two years old and I think done properly.
I had a bit of coolant sprayed on the inside of the bonnet from simply a bit of crap under my radiator cap (or a cap getting slack) but I cleaned it and it has not happened again.
I was at the evil pressure was place just blasting my wheels and I thought "oh I'll just hit the inside bonnet and clean it up quick smart"
Soapy water of course pissed down the inside of the bonnet underneath the support structure between the hinges and I watched as it piddled out of a tiny drain hole just inside of the left hinge. Ok, I thought, it's all run out, end of story on the dirty underside of the bonnet.
Two weeks later I have what appears to be bubbles appearing under the paint on the front lip of the bonnet!!!!!!!!!! Damm!!!
I'm sure there's no more water in there as I've been on a few long warm drives since but maybe a bit hung in there for a while.
So I hit it with fish oil and am hoping for the best.
DAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts