Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've owned a little '75 Alfa GTj 1600 for over 5 years now, still enjoying it as much as the day I bought it.
Since my country has imposed a new law recently where classic cars have to be periodically inspected by a certain date (2-yearly for this one),
I'm having to wake it early from its winter-nap.

I'm used to the engine being a tad 'clattery' when the car isn't warmed up yet, but it seems to have gotten significantly worse since this summer.
I've uploaded a short video of it, where you can clearly hear the ticking sound.

I'll add that the engine was only running for about 5 minutes, so not up to temp yet. (the car is garaged)
If the weather isn't too bad, I'll take it for a drive tomorrow and see how it sounds after it's properly warmed up

Since there are people on here that are much more knowledgeable on the engine-internals then I am,
Any chance any of you already know where this is most likely coming from?

Thx a bunch!
Simon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, seems to go back to it's normal level of clattering once it's properly warmed up.
I'll check the valve clearances when I have a little time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lots of things it could be but the Alfa engine experts here might know more. Sounds like valve or valve guide to me when cold. Could need adjustment also. How long since the engine has had a top end rebuild?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of things it could be but the Alfa engine experts here might know more. Sounds like valve or valve guide to me when cold. Could need adjustment also. How long since the engine has had a top end rebuild?
To my knowledge it hasn't had a top-end rebuild. Everything is stock and the block is original to the chassis.
But I don't have a detailed history, so it is possible it had one in the past.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Worth checking with a good mechanic. Much evidence of smoke on start up or on acceleration? Could also be timing chain, as above, but sounds more like valve noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worth checking with a good mechanic. Much evidence of smoke on start up or on acceleration? Could also be timing chain, as above, but sounds more like valve noise.
It does always smoke a bit when starting a cold engine, but nothing too dramatic.
It also always spits a bit of soot out of the exhaust when cold-starting, but I'm guessing that's normal.

Will definitely have the chain and valve-clearances checked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts