Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 spider veloce, cylinder had larger valves installed and polished. High compression Pistons and headers are being installed. Mechanic is top shelf. My concern is will the classic Alfa sound be gone and will new stock motor mounts suffice?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I have an 84 spider veloce, cylinder had larger valves installed and polished. High compression Pistons and headers are being installed. Mechanic is top shelf. My concern is will the classic Alfa sound be gone and will new stock motor mounts suffice?
No and Yes.

Enjoy the rebuild and let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
You're just putting it back to original design with that setup. An '84 was pretty choked down IIRC.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I didn't say that it won't be an improvement over an '84 stock engine. I was just saying that high compression pistons and headers were in use on earlier engines (a stock '74 has more power than a stock '84 edit - when new anyhow) so what you're doing is nothing radical.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so how will the work I'm having done now compare performance wise to the previous Alfa's that were hindered by smog restrictions?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I didn't say that it won't be an improvement over an '84 stock engine. I was just saying that high compression pistons and headers were in use on earlier engines (a stock '74 has more power than a stock '84 edit - when new anyhow) so what you're doing is nothing radical.
How was compression different from 71-89? I thought that the performance difference between S2-S3 spiders was due to 1) Two piece headers up until 76' 2) Smog/emissions control 3)Intake differences in spica (81').

I thought compression was different (higher) only in the Motronic s3.5 -S4? Those are the only models that require premium fuel, right?

·
Premium Member
14,033 Posts
How was compression different from 71-89? I thought that the performance difference between S2-S3 spiders was due to 1) Two piece headers up until 76' 2) Smog/emissions control 3)Intake differences in spica (81').

I thought compression was different (higher) only in the Motronic s3.5 -S4? Those are the only models that require premium fuel, right?
That is also my understanding except that cam timing changed from year to year in the 70's and that had an impact on performance.

Going back to the original post, larger valves are not a good idea. Read Alfar7's posts to understand why. They most often restrict flow rather than enhance it.

·
Premium Member
14,033 Posts
I have the book but it would not have got me close to where I am now.

·
Premium Member
14,033 Posts
Not much of a mechanic so the books would be Greek to me
You really would be in trouble since the author of that book lives in Athens!

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
If you have a good mechanic that you trust, go with what he says.
You will get a bunch of opinions here that may or may not be what you want after spending a bunch of money on "race" parts......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts