Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As you may have noticed on the engine block there are 8 plugs that are actually on top of coolant galleries. Since our motors now have many years on the back I have seen many cases where these plus rust from the inside out and eventually fall apart and engine loses its coolant...

Has anyone tried to remove these plugs and if so how are new ones attached to the block? Are these pushed and glued with gasket silicone ?

I am just wondering how easy this process is for the home mechanic so that I give it a try sooner or later...;)

Best regards,

·
Registered
755 Posts
Its a bit of a tricky job. You need to punch a hole in the old ones with something like a small cold chisel and then use a longer tool in the hole to lever it out, bit of mucking around but they work themselves out. Just be careful not to punch holes in the plugs too hard as one slip too far and you may go through the inside of the block...then its toast.
Next clean up the holes with some fine sandpaper to remove and rust and scale etc. Apply a sealant around the outside of the new plug and the hole (I used Permatex - a non hardening sealant, or you could use any non hardening sealer). Then find a socket which fits just inside the new plug and tap it home, but keep note of how far in the old one was and match it.
Start the engine, check for any leaks, and if so just tap it in a little furthur to tighten it up

1 - 2 of 2 Posts