Hello,
Anyone knows what that piece is for?
Red circle
Thanks
7AF6CB55-BA9D-4E78-B096-3CCABDE2BF07.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Mileage counter that triggers the 30,000 mile reminder to change the oxygen sensor. A lot of cars just remove this counter and connect the cable from the gearbox directly to the speedometer. (I think that you need to get a longer cable as used on S2 Spiders).

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Mileage counter that triggers the 30,000 mile reminder to change the oxygen sensor. A lot of cars just remove this counter and connect the cable from the gearbox directly to the speedometer. (I think that you need to get a longer cable as used on S2 Spiders).
Beat me to it. If it screws up, an S2 cable works fine

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
How’s this for clean?

Reactions: alfaromeoblack

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
And here where it attaches on the gearbox right?
That is picture of a crank position sensor. THe speedo cable is on the other side above the transmission mount bracket

Reactions: caffe

·
Registered
1985 S3 veloce black
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
other quick question

While removing the carpet I found something that I am bringing to your attention.
It’s disconnected on both sides upper and lower so the plug connector and the small hose (red circles in the picture) that attach to what is that, valve? Any reason why they have been disconnected?

thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
that is your vacuum sensor (aka whistling willie;))
when they fail they whistle.

People then disconnect them, but the small vacuum hose needs to be blocked (is it?)
1623619506962.png
or maybe the nipple on the plenum where the other end of the hose goes to has been blocked off instead.

you cannot get new ones, so used is the only way to go, or leave it disconnected.
it'll cost a few mpg plugged like that.

·
Registered
1985 S3 veloce black
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that is your vacuum sensor (aka whistling willie;))
when they fail they whistle.

People then disconnect them, but the small vacuum hose needs to be blocked (is it?)
View attachment 1690420
or maybe the nipple on the plenum where the other end of the hose goes to has been blocked off instead.

you cannot get new ones, so used is the only way to go, or leave it disconnected.
it'll cost a few mpg plugged like that.
got it thanks
I will leave as it is... no worries about gas mileage. 😁

1 - 17 of 17 Posts