Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finally (After 10 years in a garage) working on my 81 Spider.

I want to change all the filters, and started with the fuel. The one in the rear was easy, but I am having a bear of a time figuring how the engine bay filter housing comes apart. I have removed the bolt at the top, but the housing moves only a bit (Rotates), but not off the flange.

Does anyone know how this housing comes off? Space is at such a minimum that I can barely get at it from above, and I can't get the car high enough to get at it from below.

Thanks

Mo in NJ
1981 Spider

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Remove the entire filter assembly from the engine bay and work it on the bench. Comes off after removing the two nuts from the engine bay studs. If the long center bolt is removed from the filter assembly, the bottom can should come off. You may need to use a persuader. Probably stuck to the rubber gasket on top.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John.

Is there any advice on getting to this? The Monofarfalle intake is in the way. It looks like a bear to remove!

M

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got the cannister off, but I can't get it out of the bay. Ther is no room, up or down. It looks like removing the plenum is the best bet. Does anyone have a diagram, before I start removing bolts?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Sorry Marv. Your on your own with that one. My experience with the Mono's is zilch. I have the Factory Spica Manual if you don't already have it.

Maybe Papajam can get you the parts book sheet so you can see what's there.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John. I have the 1981 Spica Manual, but it doesn't have these details. I'll check with Papajam whenI get home.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mmarvi,

I removed my mono-plenum a few months ago (without a manual). It was very pretty straightforward, but a bit time consuming. You'll be amazed how much room you have once its out of the engine bay. I switched over to the multi-butterfly set-up and I'm really spoiled with the extra room now.

Geoff

·
Registered
162 Posts
Unfortunately no. Only a before and after, which are not very helpful. The most difficult part was un-doing the nuts on the intake runners. Tightly attached nuts in extremely tight spaces, requiring small hands, strong fingers, flashlights and parts magnets. The rest was just removing hoses, ERG tubing and air filter plumbing.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to try to take the filter unit off, and disconnect some fuel lines first. I can't see AR designing this so that the plenum had to be removed just to change this filter.

I was set to work on it this weekend, but my garage was more fit for baking than working. Hopefully It will cool down this week.

M

·
Registered
162 Posts
mmarvi,

Old thread, but did you make any progress on the project? I've had my conversion to multi-butterfly system up and running for several months now. I have to admit, it was a bear at times, but the conversion was well worth it. Need to change the starter soon and can't imagine doing it with the mono set-up.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geoff

I finally got the filter out and replaced. It was a bear, but it has given me the push to get more done. Unfortunately, time is rare, and my garage is cold. Once it does warm up, I will get started again.

By the way, what did you do with your leftover monofarfalle equipment? I want to keep mine bone stock, and this stuff is most probably unobtainium. Even if it's broken, I can use it as a reference before I take apart any of my equipment in place.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Unfortunately, I sold most of it, but I'll take a look this weekend and see if I have any good bits left.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the air pump and I think thats it. Not sure it that is something you're gonna need.

Geoff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts