Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Will soon be pulling the Engine and Trans. from my 78 Spider. Have both a front and rear crank oil seal leak and was told its easier to replace those and other things while the engine is out of the car. Does anyone have the procedure or a link for this? Any links, posts, suggestions will be helpful. Also, what else should I take advantage of servicing with the engine and trans. out?

Thanks,
Joseph

·
Registered
94 Posts
More links and photos

Lots of great links here on the BB
It's pretty easy to do. Mine is and '86 and has more air pollution hoses etc.
Comes out all in one piece. I just finished a total engine rebuild and am driving in the summer sun. Well what sun we get in Seattle.

I suggest getting the original shop manual for your year car and follow step by step.
On my link-blog "2.0L Rebuild in Seattle" I have pictures and links to others.

I also purchased the supplemental Engine Rebuild book and it has all the steps to rebuild with details.

Good Luck, Kirk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could you tell me where you bought the Shop manual and the engine rebuuild book. was it from IAP? I will be pulling the engine/Trans soon and would like to do an engine rebuild while its out if the rebuild manual is good. Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Joseph
I ordered the rebuild manual from eSportsCarParts for $23.45 and it was well worth the cost. Had all the steps, pic and torques. And it's nicely printed too!
(direct quote from my thread - "2.0L Rebuild in Seattle")

If they sell the Shop Manual for your year, I'd probably buy from them as the rebuild manual is very clear print. My shop manual is okay but not great.

Only one little oil leak on the lower oil pan, front driver side. The gasket is quite thin so I might remove and add a bit of grey sealant.

Good luck! It's pretty easy. Mine is on the road and running great!
Kirk in Seattle

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,762 Posts
As for shop manuals - I have the electronic copies on CD/DVD from Car Disc.

Also Pat Braden's books.

As for engine/trans R/R - raise the rear of the car and have a way to lift the engine, move it forwards then up and out at a fairly steep angle. IIRC, the middle tie rod needs to be moved out of the way for clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just droped my engine and transmission back in yesterday. I broke my engine down to just the pistons replaced all the crank bearings, gaskets, seals, machined my head .030 and added headers. Change your transmission fluid while it is out if you arent going to do any work to the tranny itself at least change the throw out bearing and check your clutch. This guide was awesome for giving me a step by step for pulling the motor. I used Pat's books and the PO gave me the shop manual so I'm not sure where he got it but it was invaluable for checking all the dimentions on my crank and such.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts