Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 95LS is up on the lift at Stuarts shop in Orange County. Havent driven it for 18 months or so. Idea was to get it on the lift, pull the pan, change the leaking cigarette seals, change AC compressor, check out steering rack, etc.

Up on the lift, oil pan off. In the bottom of the oil pan is a wrist (gudgeon) pin clip. Front bank piston has the wrist pin slid out and light scoring on the cylinder wall. Car has about 80K miles on it and ran like a deer.

Unless we can get the clip back in from the bottom, its end of days. I'm not motivated enough to spend the $ on pulling the head, liner, etc. If we can get the clip back in, (assuming the wrist pin will push back !) then I:ll drive it till it smokes too much and then scrap it. I really doubt we will be able to get that clip back in, 2mm wire diameter spring steel and about 9mm clearance from the liner sidewall to the wrist pin relief, and its up in the cylinder with crank in the way,.

No idea when/how this happened. Usually a thrown clip is a sign of a bent conrod.

90% chance my 164 days are now in the rearview mirror. I already have 6 cars here (71 spider, 74 GTV, two tacoma trucks, my wifes Hondda CRV and my sons honda civic). Bringing the 164 back to the house might tip the nieghbors over

·
Super Moderator
10,795 Posts
Yes, I was in that situation last year. My 164 had no serious issues, but was "nickle dime'ing" me to death. And like you, I had a lot of other cars. They ain't easy to sell! I struggled to get $300 for a running, driving, smog-compliant, 5-speed car. But your low-mileage LS is probably in a different league from my 12V '91.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Agree that replacing that clip in situ would be a challenge.

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
You should be able to disconnect the rod at the bottom, and wiggle the rod down lower into the case.

Reactions: goats

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, the thing is, I have a TON of spare parts, NOS etc. ANd 164 specialized tools -- marelli tester, etc. bearings, idlers, NOS rubber parts, etc... we will see what happens.....

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to disconnect the rod at the bottom, and wiggle the rod down lower into the case.
Maybe. take bottom off, push piston up, clear the top of the crank with the upper rod, then lower down -- maybe.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
Sorry to hear but the 164 is really a dying breed. If I did not move on to the new cars I would be dead. I still have 164 parts sales but very far and few these days. I am only stocking what is left over and maintenance parts on a lower stock these days. Sad but it is what it is. I miss my 164 but don't at the same time, it was nickel and dime'ing me to death. Once in a lifetime selling it for what I think it was worth, new owner still got a stellar rare car in great condition.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
yeah, the thing is, I have a TON of spare parts, NOS etc. ANd 164 specialized tools -- marelli tester, etc. bearings, idlers, NOS rubber parts, etc... we will see what happens.....
Let's talk about those

Reactions: goats

·
Premium Member
15,985 Posts
Sorry to hear of this potential loss of the LS. We still have our great driving 94LS, which we don't drive much at all, having used the 91S as the DD since 94. We also have the Chevy SS, which we also haven't driven much so far, saving it for long trips throughout the West, and the pristine Milano, which we also don't drive much (my wife's little used DD). I'm just not sure where we are headed these years (at our ages) for vehicles. No real desire or need to change.

Someday, someone, most likely the wife, will have to figure it out. Somebody will get several nice cars pretty cheap, lol, as I doubt she will continue to drive the Milano or the other Alfas, as it would be too difficult for her to maintain them or get them serviced, esp since Carlo is gone. Not even the Chevy SS, as it is a lot of car for her, too big and needlessly powerful for her to be comfortable in driving I suspect, even if there is a very good Chevy dealership close by for service.

We as well have a lot of replacement Alfa parts (all labeled at least), mostly those which have shown to be more fragile, or get used up, for the 164, plus a few for the Milano. Another problem for someone someday.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Del I’m in same boat. I can wrangle still the 2l cars but there comes a day where the mind and body not up to the task. As much as I love that fast and great handling LS, I’ve lost interest in it. The 18 months away and all the work on the GTV motors in that past year have Kept me busy— I can do those in my garage without a lift. But I don’t like getting under the LS — twice the weight and I just don’t like it really. Cramped, fiddly, etc. that’s why I sent to APC to do all this stuff — besides the fact Stuart is awesome . I loved my 95 auto car —238k miles on it when it spit the bit. Anywho it’s where it’s at. I’ll update this thread as more is revealed..

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Last time I purchased an Alfa my 30 year-old son asked me what I was going to do with all my Alfas. My response was “that’s not my problem, its yours.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love it. My kids have ZERO interest. When I cash it in, head over here— you will find great tools, alfa cars, motors, parts, you name it— that will end up in a dumpster most likeky

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
It's heartless of me but I am being quite calculating in deciding not to change the T belt in my 240,000 km 164. The cost isn't worth the risk that something else fatal will kill the car AND my $2K that it will cost to do what's really needed on my car. The rust is creeping in again at the RR wheel arch, the front jack points are just ideas not capable of lifting the car. And so it goes.

Anthropomorphism is a common feeling and eventually these of cars should just be driven as they were intended until the cancer kills them, or they break a hip....

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Are used engines so rare that just R&R the damaged engine isn't an economic solution rather than trying to patch up a damaged one that isn't long for this world even if the gudgeon pin can be fixed?

·
Super Moderator
10,795 Posts
Del I’m in same boat. I can wrangle still the 2l cars but there comes a day where the mind and body not up to the task.
Yea, there was that factor too in my decision to quit the 164 habit. Wrenching on 4-cyl cars is still sort of fun, but working on the 164 fell below the threshold of what I was willing to do myself. I have a good local mechanic who can work on, and fix, anything, but at some point it became embarrassing to bring the 164 to him every month or so.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
Yea, there was that factor too in my decision to quit the 164 habit. Wrenching on 4-cyl cars is still sort of fun, but working on the 164 fell below the threshold of what I was willing to do myself. I have a good local mechanic who can work on, and fix, anything, but at some point it became embarrassing to bring the 164 to him every month or so.
Same, I was just exhausted from it. A few days before selling mine, the wheel bearing decided to take a dump on me. I had to pull a new OEM hub from my stock and do the work, right after I just installed a Q2 diff in the gearbox. Then of course the alt. belt decided it did not want to stay tight, so I had to re-tension that thing. You know? Pull the **** wheel an liner. Before this, was repairing the fuel pump cover wiring so it would not leak fumes, leaking seal on level sensor, one thing after another. I was done. Love the engine and looks of the car but I was done. 23 years of this, I lost interested in it as well.

Now I have a giulia with a warranty. Happy Camper. Not as exciting as the busso with 5 speed but still pretty fun car. Don't care about manual trans at this point. Will probably get into a QV soon so I can give myself the headache again! ;) If I need a manual I will buy something older like a 91. Diversify, plus I have always wanted to own one. haha

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I still love the 1992 164-S that I bought brand new. Last year I pulled the engine and transmission and replaced everything that it needed. Cost or time were not a consideration; I wanted it right and back on the road where it belongs. Yes it is becoming a unicorn! It turns heads as we go wizzing past all the look-a-like cars. It may never sell for what it cost new but it has been worth every penny I spent on it. It has taken my kids from day care to high school and is show ready again.

Del, I feel certain your car will be fixed and on the road again.

Mark
Duetto 164 in garage (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
15,985 Posts
"Del, I feel certain your car will be fixed and on the road again"

Goats, not me. Mine are still running ok, knock on wood.

Decided to drive the Milano today across town to finally get a haircut, yay (getting pretty darn shaggy. Lol, my barber says, Del, you've got more hair than 90% of my customers. Been going to him since 1970, just several years out of college, the U of W, a couple of blocks away from his shop).

The Milano needs to get excised a little, been sitting around too long. Will put some fresh gas in it, plus a little Techron as usual. The car starts and runs just great, just as new. After that, will exercise the LS as well.

BTW, couple of nice looking cars there.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Last time I purchased an Alfa my 30 year-old son asked me what I was going to do with all my Alfas. My response was “that’s not my problem, its yours.”
My mother did that to my brother and I with her massive doll collection. It took 6 weeks to box it all up and a 40 foot high ceiling professional moving truck filled completely full from front to back, top to bottom to send it to the auction house. They still had to come back with a U Haul truck to get all the display cases.

So I'm going to do the same to my kids.

·
Premium Member
15,985 Posts
Same for all my spare Alfa parts. At least almost all are labeled as to what they are, and which car they fit on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts