Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UK car graduate 1987 failed MOT test on emissions

Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (a))

Needs to be under 3.5 and it does not smoke at all so any ideas what I can do here as I need another 3 years before it no longer needs on ie 40 years !!!

Thanks

Steve

·
Administrator
18,236 Posts
I am not familiar with the set up on non-USA versions. Is your car carb'ed? Does it have a catalytic converter? USA Spiders have Bosch L-jetronic EFI. Combined with a functioning O2 sensor & good catalytic converter they can pass the USA smog tests easily.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
UK car graduate 1987 failed MOT test on emissions

Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (a))

Needs to be under 3.5 and it does not smoke at all so any ideas what I can do here as I need another 3 years before it no longer needs on ie 40 years !!!

Thanks

Steve
How many miles on it? It could be a depleted catalytic converter or a bad O2 sensor. THe Bosch fuel injection should be able to adjust it as long as those two items are good.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
just over 100k miles not km
I would bet the the catalytic converter is not functioning as it should but it would be quicker and cheaper to replace the O2 sensor and try again before spending excessive cash.

·
Administrator
18,236 Posts
I only know that it is fuel injected Bosch I think
Post a picture of the engine bay. USA versions with Bosch L-jetronic fuel injection look like this:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Automotive design

As mentioned earlier, with a functioning O2 sensor & catalytic converter it should pass a smog test. When the O2 sensors get old they don't work properly - the computer will then ignore the O2 sensor and default to its preprogrammed fuel map (which is slightly richer than needed to pass smog). Running slightly rich for too long will overwhelm the catalytic converter and then it, too, will fail to function properly. 50,000 to 60,000 miles is about as long as the O2 sensors are good for. Unless you know it was recently changed I would start by replacing it.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
just FYI
Bayliner has a California 87 grad, brought over to UK

Steve, I'd chuck in a bottle of cataclean and then take it for an italian tune up
then try again to pass the test.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
true enough, a dead cat is a dead cat.

but we do not know that just yet.
therefore a change of lambda sensor might get him past, rather than throwing 500 bucks at a new cat.

@Bayliner.192
if your car is MY 1987, then you will only be exempt from all testing in 2027, when your car reaches its 40th birthday (so 6 years not 3 as you say in post #1)

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,515 Posts
get/use a 3 wire o2 sensor.. +( key on ) to heater ground and sensor itself... you can even use a 4 wire sensor..just an extra ground.. but it will work a lot longer and better

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of your comments I will as you say initially try the 02 sensor and looks at filters. It had a new exhaust system last year and funnily enough when you drive it with the hood up which is rare it is a bit exhausty in the cabin so maybe as simple as an ill fitting exhaust ?

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
3.5 is percent CO? A decent running Bosch car with good cat will be way below 1, sometimes nearly 0. I'd figure a new cat at a minimum. It's running rich. If HC is high it's misfiring, figure out why. Plugs, compression, air filter, etc.
Andrew

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well Here is the rub

I went to the mot testing station to quiz them. Turns out that they had input the car and tested it as per the registration and as the car was imported from the US OF A in 1995 they had thought that was how old it was so judged it against a reading of 0.5 and a car of that year would need to be 0.3 and not the 3.5% allowed with a car made in 1987.

What a bunch of neanderthals !!!

Only now have to replace the headlights as a few months back I bought some new headlights for a left hand drive car which it is not realizing that I am driving on the right dooooh ! If anyone wants a set then let me know as they are brand spankers !!!

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Well Here is the rub
Turns out that they had input the car and tested it as per the registration and as the car was imported from the US OF A in 1995 they had thought that was how old it was so judged it against a reading of 0.5 and a car of that year would need to be 0.3 and not the 3.5% allowed with a car made in 1987.
yes, and in 87 there was no cat compliance in the UK
as your car is a CA import it should be a hundred times cleaner than anything of 87 vintage in UK:)

Cats only became standard on new cars from 1993.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts