Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man.....car's instrument cluster lights come on but car doesnt start. Ignition switch connector seems OK (had looseness trouble recently with it).

Starter has not given any warnings it might be old. Started vigorously every time so far.

Heeeeelp....

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know yous warned me recently about that switch.....I thought I had it licked. Loose wires under there were tightened and apparently, still not done right. Dang.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, now Joe Jr (its not me...my son), said he jiggled them and car started.....hes off to Home Depot.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will have him but a stripper tool/wire nuts, and connect those wires and get rid of (for now) that troublesome clip....eh?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From ignit switch,:

1)brown goes to brown
2) blk to purple AND blk together
3) red to red.

Hope thats right.........

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess a real emergency would involve a paramedic, eh? No problem....Finally , we figured best thing to do it push car off the side of the highway, walk to Home depot (its only a mile away, fortunately), have him buy wire strippers, end caps, tape, and walk back to give the ignition connector a vasectomy, period. Its time.

I'll let yous know what happens........(wish I was there to help).....

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you guys have advised me its a bad switch, but we'll see if the vasectomy works. Im betting on it. Got my diagrams and all, match the right colors, etc.....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It sounds like it's getting it's vasectomy reversed, actually- becoming potent again, hopefully. ;)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like it's getting it's vasectomy reversed, actually- becoming potent again, hopefully. ;)
Right, Anthony. An Alfa is a good breed.....when it works!

So, got it done, in traffic. Man, scary (for him...Ive just been typing nervously). It was a bad upper black wire connection. Good thing he was close to a home depot....got wire strippers and a foot of braided wire. It SHOULD not happen again, hopefully.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Glad he got it working. Sorry wasn't around to try and help. Out all day yesterday and just saw your post this morning.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad he got it working. Sorry wasn't around to try and help. Out all day yesterday and just saw your post this morning.
(back from work)....Thanks, Shadow! I know you would have been the first to offer the help in that tight situation. Glad we got it tight now. Good thing it wasnt in the actual height of traffic, I believe.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Good thing it wasnt in the actual height of traffic, I believe.
Actually that woulda been better onnaconna when at it's peak we all know that he coulda left it where it was for an hour or so and no~one woulda moved anyway regardless of it being there or not.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually that woulda been better onnaconna when at it's peak we all know that he coulda left it where it was for an hour or so and no~one woulda moved anyway regardless of it being there or not.
LOL...I didnt think of that (and neither did Jr), as we both are greenhorns to LA traffic...LOL

Thanks, Dar. Yeah, he reeeeeeally got lucky there....Home Depot just a short walk away (fr a 24 yr old). Anyway, now poor kid's got another nuisance problem....starting. Dang...I had that car working right before the big move!!

I think I'll get him to start a new thread on it, that is , if yous dont mind (hehe).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts