Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I am a new Montreal owner and am struggling with how to turn the light off (orange lens) that resides horizontally in the center console adjacent to the red button.

Looking at the wiring diagram on the Alfa Montreal website, I am assuming the red button is the Emergency Flasher Switch (#75) and the light with Orange Lens is the Emergency Flasher Warning Light (#76)? IPlease confirm.

When I press in the red protruding button the orange light does not go off. Also the red button is not illuminated - should it be?

The reason I am asking is that the light with orange lens is constantly on and I am having trouble diagnosing and how to turn it off. It is draining the battery so I installed quick disconnect, but this is not the long-term solution.

Any tips and direction regarding the nature of the red button and the adjacent, constantly on orange light are welcomed.

Jamison

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Jamision, I believe that the red button is the emergency flasher switch and warning light in one. If you push down on the red button the light inside it should flash in unison with the external flashing lights on the car (same as the turn signal lights).

The orange button is the rear window demister switch, although I don't know if mine even lights up. The orange button is sort of opaque and doesn't really look like it would have a light behind it but I don't think I've ever tried it at night.

Also, as a new Montreal owner, I would strongly suggest that you get a copy of "Alfa Romeo Montreal~ the Essential Companion" by Bruce "MontreAlMighty" Taylor. It is an excellent book for anyone that likes Alfa Romeo cars but it really is essential for anyone that owns one. It contains a ton of information and serves as a shop manual and history book for the Montreal. You can usually find copies on eBay for about $100 or so.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello:

I am a new Montreal owner and am struggling with how to turn the light off (orange lens) that resides horizontally in the center console adjacent to the red button.

Looking at the wiring diagram on the Alfa Montreal website, I am assuming the red button is the Emergency Flasher Switch (#75) and the light with Orange Lens is the Emergency Flasher Warning Light (#76)? IPlease confirm.

When I press in the red protruding button the orange light does not go off. Also the red button is not illuminated - should it be?

The reason I am asking is that the light with orange lens is constantly on and I am having trouble diagnosing and how to turn it off. It is draining the battery so I installed quick disconnect, but this is not the long-term solution.

Any tips and direction regarding the nature of the red button and the adjacent, constantly on orange light are welcomed.

Jamison
Jamision, I believe that the red button is the emergency flasher switch and warning light in one. If you push down on the red button the light inside it should flash in unison with the external flashing lights on the car (same as the turn signal lights).

The orange button is the rear window demister switch, although I don't know if mine even lights up. The orange button is sort of opaque and doesn't really look like it would have a light behind it but I don't think I've ever tried it at night.

Also, as a new Montreal owner, I would strongly suggest that you get a copy of "Alfa Romeo Montreal~ the Essential Companion" by Bruce "MontreAlMighty" Taylor. It is an excellent book for anyone that likes Alfa Romeo cars but it really is essential for anyone that owns one. It contains a ton of information and serves as a shop manual and history book for the Montreal. You can usually find copies on eBay for about $100 or so.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I’ve seen that book , but pricing around $300. I’m keeping an eye out for a more affordable one

Attached is an image that shows the illuminating button, toward left of image. . The deep red flasher is the rightmost button. The leftmost reddish orange circle looks like a button but it is flush with console. It definitely illuminates and comes in the moment I connect the battery.

I wonder if this is a broken demister button?
Should the demister button press down like the flasher button?

perplexing 133A1FD6-94D6-4443-B7ED-BA19FA95A3AA.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a better image that also shows some of the wiring. The reddish-orange, circular flush thing is constantly lit. It does not appear to be a push button like the hazard, or if it is it is lodged in there so well it is immovable . Since it does not appear to be a button, seems to indicate not demister.

I can’t seem to figure out how to turn this off (sans pulling out bottom wires). Also still perplexed the function of this illuminated console light .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yes, it looks like the demister switch button is definitely stuck down. It may be worth disconnecting the battery and pulling the switch out of the dash. Perhaps you can figure out how to repair the switch. If not I believe that John in Holland (has many Montreal parts for sale here and in the classified section Johni6020) can supply you with another switch. montreal parts
Perhaps Classic Alfa or one of the other Montreal suppliers like AMS or 105Revive can supply as well.

Probably the more important thing to fit is the emergency flashers...not that you are ever likely to need them in a Montreal, huh. My car is a '72 that came with no side mirrors and no emergency flashers. Fortunately the previous owner demanded that Alfa Romeo install seat belts -before he would take possession of the car. It was also very fortunate that Alfa pre wired the car for an emergency flasher. All I had to do was find the wire connectors below the dash and install the correct red switch. Now, if I could only pull the trigger on the drill to install one of the two sets of two side mirrors that I've picked up for the car....

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mark. Good advice and guidance.

Wishing you well with the mirror project!

Do you have any guidance in removing the console piece to access the demister and hazard switch? I see two screws by the shifter - any tips beyond this.

Is that the sort of task that is described in the Bruce Taylor book?

While diagnosing the demister, I may as well address the non-working hazard switch as well. I will look at the wiring diagram and hope that spells out the connections, or such is likely on this helpful forum.

Very grateful.

Jamison

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Jamison

Why don't you go to:

Buy this orange demister switch for about $50USD then wire it through your ignition.

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Thanks Rob, I thought that Classic Alfa had replacement demister switches.

Here is a link to Don's description of how to remove the horizontal console:

Trust me, the book is well worth the price of admission:

"Alfa Romeo Montreal~ the Essential Companion" is my #1 favorite Alfa book. My number two is "The Immortal 2.9 Alfa Romeo 8c2900" by Simon Moore -so that is something.

Here is the 'contents' listing:
AR M~tEC.jpg

About my only criticism of this book would be that the index could be more expansive. Some terminology we use to describe a part or procedure may not be covered but if you search the entire index, you will often find what you are looking for by another name.
Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts