Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emergency brake has froze on the passenger side of my 1991 164L . I know usually it’s the cable so my first question is if I was to disconnect the passenger side cable would I still have the use of the driver side.
Also is there any fixes out there other than replacing the cable?

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
If cable frozen in housing on pasenger side it will be hard to disconnect it from brake caliper but if you could you will still have driver's side parking brake if left lever (driver's side) not frozen. If cable not frozen in housing and you disconect it NO you won't have any parking brake on driver's side.

If cable frozen you will need to replace it if caliper parking levers working to get both parking brakes to work. If parking lever(s) frozen in caliper You may have to replace caliper(s).

To possibly free up levers it is best to remove caliper so you can work on it in a vise t free up lever and try to pull shaft out enough to polish off rust and pack some lube into rubber seal area.

IAP sells rebuild kits but without special tool to reinstall brake adjuster and snap ring forget trying to do it at home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts