Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any suggestions where i can get one for a 92 spider in tan?

IAP only has them only in black and centerline does not carry them.

thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,024 Posts
Auugh! That's Caribou Imports! Do a search here and learn from others before ordering *anything* from Caribou - they are bad news.

Is it torn or just faded? If the latter I got very good results using some matching vinyl/leather dye from World Upholstery.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DavidH - what color did you get? how was the color match?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Is what you have a snap in?

Is there any reason you'd be compelled toward leather or would vinyl be acceptable?

If it's a snap in and vinyl is OK, you can pick up a hunk of marine grade stuff in the proper color at a fabric store for well under 10$ along with a 1/2 inch snap kit and just stitch up your own with nylon thread using the old one as a pattern.

It's easier than darning a sock :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi, Lgbalfa, I got black leather for both the shifter boot and the brake boot. There's no question that the leather is much better looking than the original vinyl boots. Originally, my brake boot and handle were both tan. But because my brake handle had gotten pretty gross, I coated it with that black rubbery "Plasticote" stuff that you dip screwdriver handles in. Now the black leather brake cover matches the now-black brake handle -- and all's right with the world.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Tifosi is right on about how easy it is to make and install the snap in kind. Leather does hold-up bettter, I've made my own. If you can find upholstery shop that work with leather they might have a scrap that is the correct color, here in OC I know a guy who does the private jets at John Wayne Airport. Another source for leather scraps would be a wholesale shoe repair supplier. One other tack would be to get the black leather and use SEM to color, the black leather that IAP sells would be amenable to that, it would not work well with a cheap protected leather, if you use the SEM, clean the leather first with isopropal alcohol

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,024 Posts
Not sure what you mean by snap-in. The S4 one is riveted to the bottom of the center console with pop rivets. You remove the center console and drill out the rivets to remove it, then reinstall with new pop rivets.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will def stay away from caribou imports after reading past threads.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Snaps vs rivets:

Was referencing S3 as they were snap fit for the most part and I keep forgetting S4's have that full console thing going on. (phase 1 change to incorporation of cupholders.......)

Still even with a rivet affixment, it's not that much closer to rocket science to fabricate one if there's enough left of the old one to measure off.

Go one step further and don't use snaps or rivets but the same type of clip that holds the shift boot if there's a lip there :D

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any other online sources that sell this? i am just looking for instant gratification instead of making one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts