Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a couple of vintage 'spider veloce' front fender emblems on ebay to install on my 89 Veloce, but now realize I have no idea how these are attached. It would be some sort of adhesive, but I don't know if it would be a double-stick tape, or a silicon adhesive, or some other glue-like substance I should get. Any advice on adhesive and installation is appreciated! (Note the missing emblem in the photo 馃槙)

Premium Member
I am doing exactly the same. Mine arrive today. Your pic has VT plates?
May be time for a short road trip for me? We could split the cost of a roll of the tape.

John R
Nashua

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie

Registered
That product is designed to add the tack to existing adhesive. It will work if your emblem has foam tape on it. It might work but is not the intended use of this product. I train end users on 3M collision repair products.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I am doing exactly the same. Mine arrive today. Your pic has VT plates?
May be time for a short road trip for me? We could split the cost of a roll of the tape.
What type of tape will you use?
BTW, we own and operate a cafe - you make the trip and lunch is on me! (that is, whenever we're allowed to open again...)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
That product is designed to add the tack to existing adhesive. It will work if your emblem has foam tape on it. It might work but is not the intended use of this product. I train end users on 3M collision repair products.
I'm pretty sure these emblems don't have any backing. In which case, what product would you recommend? The emblems are scripted writing, so whatever is used would need to be transparent or it would be seen between the letters.

--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie

Registered
Many of my customers use it that way and don't seem to have problems. 3M does like their products to be used as designed though. If it is your car and are willing to try it there is no real harm if it fails.

Premium Member
What type of tape will you use?
BTW, we own and operate a cafe - you make the trip and lunch is on me! (that is, whenever we're allowed to open again...)
Looking at this 3M tape: 03609
Several products seem to be suitable. Prices vary widely.

John

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Registered
Wow!! Trimming away the excess looks like a very tedious process. Let us know if you discover any "Best Practices"!! Good Luck!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I meant excess tape. Amorphous glue, carefully applied looks like a winner!!
I agree. This particular emblem I'm attaching looks like a nightmare to trim, and even though the tape looks transparent, if its not trimmed it will quickly grab hold of dirt and dust. I think I'll try the glue.

Registered
I need to re-attach my Spider Veloce emblems too but the reviews on the 3M Glue make me concerned about damaging the paint. I certainly don't want them to fall off, or be easily stolen, but I'm curious how you would remove the glue/emblem down the road.

Registered
Shouldn鈥檛 be a problem to remove emblem if needed. You can use dental floss and cross cut the emblem off. The glue should scrape off with a plastic putty knife or use something like a paint stir stick to not harm the paint. If the glue is a little stubborn you can use a heat gun on low. Do a practice gluing and removal in an inconspicuous place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts