Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More than a month ago, I contacted Elvezio's asking for a sample of the red vinyl that they use to make seat skins, door and rear panels and rear drapes for 101 Giulia Spiders.

They offered to send a sample by courier for 20 Euros or said they would just mail one to me. I replied that one by mail would be fine. Later, I learned that it was sent via regular mail; not air mail. From Italy?! How much could air mail be?

I know that some BBers have dealt with Elvezio's and been pleased with the quality, but what about the time it takes to receive items purchased?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I purchased a carpet set from them, and the advised production time and shipping quote was accurate. I didn’t have an issue, but to charge you for air shipping and sending via the slow boat isn’t right. Just my 2 cents.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,286 Posts
More than a month ago, I contacted Elvezio's asking for a sample of the red vinyl that they use to make seat skins, door and rear panels and rear drapes for 101 Giulia Spiders.

They offered to send a sample by courier for 20 Euros or said they would just mail one to me. I replied that one by mail would be fine. Later, I learned that it was sent via regular mail; not air mail. From Italy?! How much could air mail be?

I know that some BBers have dealt with Elvezio's and been pleased with the quality, but what about the time it takes to receive items purchased?

Thanks,

Ray

So a vendor sends a sample at their own expense and you are complaining about the speed at which it takes to get to you?

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So a vendor sends a sample at their own expense and you are complaining about the speed at which it takes to get to you?
Brian,

Not certain that you understood the spirit of my inquiry.

I was surprised that a company that probably rakes in many tens of thousands of bucks per year from the U.S (and maybe a whole lot more) could/would not spring for a 3.7 Euro air mail posting to send a potential customer a 2" X 2" sample of red vinyl to help him decide if he wanted to order Approx $1,200 + shipping, in merchandise.

But that wasn't my main concern; I wondered how long it might take for the items purchased to arrive as I have heard stories of parts taking forever to reach the good ole USA.

When I lived in Italy, no one would send a letter to the States w/o sending it via air mail or it would take forever, if ever. In fact, we always tried to use the Vatican mail service, whenever possible!

Just for the record, I requested one from Classic Alfa and I had it in four days,

Ray

·
Push hard and live
9,961 Posts
I asked Elvezio’s for a quotation when I started the restoration on my now-complete 10204 01488. It was a pleasant conversation, but the hurdles to a smooth, efficient, and quick series of transactions finally dissuaded me.

This is probably cultural, and is evident at AFRA, and Borrani, among others. In the case of Borrani, there really is no alternative, but for the others, there is.

With my other vendors, here in the US, England, and other parts of Europe, I can leave a credit card on file, or easily use PayPal. They understand that my time is money, so ship quickly and via fast delivery. A problem with any part is immediately accepted for full credit return, normally at the vendor’s expense.

I actually don’t find fault with what appears to be the Italian norm. It is their company, and they can do as they wish. My highest priority in making a purchase decision is quality. Second is ease and speed of service. Third is the certainty of pleasant recourse in the event of a problem.

Note I haven’t gotten to price yet. It’s on the list, but I don’t want to keep writing.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Brian,

Not certain that you understood the spirit of my inquiry.

I was surprised that a company that probably rakes in many tens of thousands of bucks per year from the U.S (and maybe a whole lot more) could/would not spring for a 3.7 Euro air mail posting to send a potential customer a 2" X 2" sample of red vinyl to help him decide if he wanted to order Approx $1,200 + shipping, in merchandise.

But that wasn't my main concern; I wondered how long it might take for the items purchased to arrive as I have heard stories of parts taking forever to reach the good ole USA.

When I lived in Italy, no one would send a letter to the States w/o sending it via air mail or it would take forever, if ever. In fact, we always tried to use the Vatican mail service, whenever possible!

Just for the record, I requested one from Classic Alfa and I had it in four days,

Ray
To be honest, I suspect they have not thought about it. Sometimes things are just as simple as that. i suspect Classic Alfa send it by DHL, because they send all of their stuff via DHL, which Elvizio may not.

·
12,286 Posts
Ray, you are making assumptions about their business and sales.

I find it puzzling that you have the expectation that they should spend €3.70 for an airmail stamp yet you weren't willing to spend €20 for expedited service. It takes time and materials to send something from Italy to the US. It is not always as simple as putting something in an envelope and sticking a stamp on it.

From my perspective, which could be way off, your post comes across as showing ungratefulness for a free sample.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Do you how many folks ask them for samples on a weekly basis? I do not...nor does anyone else....I know they make lots of kits for a lot of different marques....so it might be that they've already gone down that road in the past and maybe was not worth the effort. I know I had no issues at all with the delivery times (I was not in a hurry anyways mind you). Being actual producers and not resellers I was happy knowing that if something was not right.....they could correct the problem.....whereas a reseller will only tell you that that's how the part come to them from their supplier. Also, they were able to provide me with extra material (edging, vinyl, grommets and carpet stock) at cost.....the quality of their work was excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ray, you are making assumptions about their business and sales.

I find it puzzling that you have the expectation that they should spend €3.70 for an airmail stamp yet you weren't willing to spend €20 for expedited service. It takes time and materials to send something from Italy to the US. It is not always as simple as putting something in an envelope and sticking a stamp on it.

From my perspective, which could be way off, your post comes across as showing ungratefulness for a free sample.
Brian,

I have nothing but respect for your opinion and your work. When I asked if it were possible to receive a sample, they were more than glad to send one. When I was presented with the option of having a sample mailed to me or spending 20 Euros ($22.50) for a courier service, I chose the mail. I did not need one in two-or-three days, and could not imagine that I would need expedited service for an envelope; even from Italy. Nothing more; nothing less.

No one has questioned their quality, integrity or anything else. I was just inquiring about the lag time in having parts delivered.

And, for the record, my years in Italy taught me a great deal about the Italian method of madness; it's just the price of admission when living there. I love it like no other place on earth!

While I am powerless to determine if you think me to be unappreciative of their offer, I can assure you nothing could be further from the truth. If they had asked me to pony up the 4 Euros for a sample; no problem. And, yes; they do accept PayPal; has there been some incredible shift in the Force?!

Ray

Reactions: ghnl

·
12,286 Posts
Brian,

I have nothing but respect for your opinion and your work. When I asked if it were possible to receive a sample, they were more than glad to send one. When I was presented with the option of having a sample mailed to me or spending 20 Euros ($22.50) for a courier service, I chose the mail. I did not need one in two-or-three days, and could not imagine that I would need expedited service for an envelope; even from Italy. Nothing more; nothing less.

No one has questioned their quality, integrity or anything else. I was just inquiring about the lag time in having parts delivered.

And, for the record, my years in Italy taught me a great deal about the Italian method of madness; it's just the price of admission when living there. I love it like no other place on earth!

While I am powerless to determine if you think me to be unappreciative of their offer, I can assure you nothing could be further from the truth. If they had asked me to pony up the 4 Euros for a sample; no problem. And, yes; they do accept PayPal; has there been some incredible shift in the Force?!

Ray

Thank you, Ray. It's very kind of you to say that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts