Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if someone has removed the brake booster from his GT to make the braking more precise even if much harder or if it's just urban legend. I use my gt often on the track for track day shifts and someone recommended this change. I have already seen the "castle" sold by Alfaholics but at the moment it is unreachable for me ...Thanks!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You can try it for free... just disconnect the vacuum hose from the booster (make sure to plug both ends). Also make sure to try this when nobody is around, as you may have a surprise.

Years ago, I bought a very second hand Chevrolet Chevette. Most were sold without power brakes, including mine. The first time I reached a stop sign with that car, I ended up stopping in the middle of the intersection. And the car was made that way.

Racing cars very seldom use brake boosters, but the master cylinder sizes generally been adjusted to lower the force required on the pedal. Reducing the diameter of the cylinder reduces the force but at the price of an increased stroke. Very early 105 Giulias didn't have a booster, but the MC was a different size.

The best, safest way for a street 105 Alfa would be to source a 1750 20 mm diameter ATE master cylinder instead of the much more common 22 mm master than has been used from about 1972 onwards.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I think the OP has a 20 mm MC in his 71 1750. A good upgrade would be installing a 22 mm MC. Giving a firmer higher pedal with the booster left in use.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the OP has a 20 mm MC in his 71 1750. A good upgrade would be installing a 22 mm MC. Giving a firmer higher pedal with the booster left in use.
Hi Brad, my GT already has a 22 brake master cylinder. I also have 4 Brembo brake discs, Ferodo Racing Ds2500 brake pads and steel braided hoses. the braking does not show signs of slowing down but the doubt arose from a discussion with a friend who in the past ran at a high level with the 105 series. the center of the discussion is: removing the brake booster improves braking because you have more sensitivity in understanding the wheel lock point? 'this because if on one side with the brake booster the braking is lighter and softer on the other you always have a' sponge effect between your foot and the wheel. i'm sorry but i can't be clearer cause google translator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts