Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery on my Alfa 164 12 valve 3.0 1991 model died, so I put a new one on. However, when I switch the ignition on and start the car, the wipers come on continuously and the all the warning lamps on the dashboard remain lit up. I cannot seem to turn the wipers off and there is a continuous clicking sound like the indicators are on all the time. Could it be a faulty indicator / wiper stalk? Trying to jiggle the wiper controls don't seem to make any difference. Any ideas what could be going on? Apart from the wiper stalk, any other areas to check first?
Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
26,715 Posts
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Michael,
No, the battery would not charge with the CTEK charger anymore. I just removed the old battery and installed a new one. Did not jump start or use any booster. Cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steve, I will check battery connections again but if they weren't correct, the car would not start at all? The car starts fine and idles fine. It is just the wipers going on continuously even though it is in the OFF position and all the dash warning lamps are lit. Normally all the warning lamps go on initially and then shut off after starting but they stay on continuously whilst the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
26,715 Posts
Did you try disconnecting black ground cable to battery and reconnecting again?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
You have tried switching the wipers on and then off again? The "park" switch is integral to the wiper motor.

Have you pressed and released the "test" button on the lower dashboard? That switch activates all the instrument panel indicator lights in order to verify that they still work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,
I haven't had time to look at the problem again. I have since disconnected the battery and will have another look later in the week. I have jiggled the wiper stalk back and forth but it still would not shut off previously. Also pressed the "test" button several times but that did not clear the warning lamp display either. Next step would be to remove the steering shroud and check the indicator/wiper stalk on the weekend. Will post any progress then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts