Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there:
i have just bought a guillia super (1972), i seem to have aproblem with the wiring in the dash bord cos nothing works, only the lights in the speed and the rav meeter(which by the way dont) so am actually driving without knowing how fast am going. the stario is dead lighter too, i can hear the clock ticking but it does not move. can i please get some help.:(

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not familuar with the 1972 Guillia, but diagnostic proceedures are easy. I assume the Speedometer and Tachometer are mechanical on your car, like the 72 GTV, that means that they are driven from a cable and not electronically. You should be able to get behind the guage and see a 13mm diameter cable that has a collar screw holding it on the guage. See if there is a cable and then trace it back to the driven side on the engine and/or gearbox. Check to see if it's properly connected. If everything looks good, then unscrew the cable off the Tacometer, you should see a blade or square drive pin at the end of the cable. Then:

1) Start the car and see if this drive pin turns along with the revs. If so, make sure the cable is re-attached to the tachometer so that the drive pin engages with the tach. If the pin does not move, then either the cable is broken or something is wrong at the other driven end. Remove the cable and inspect by turn the one end by hand and then seeing of the other end is turning. If not, replace the cable, if so, remove the cable drive from the Gearbox/Engine and inspect, it should have plastic gears that might have broken.

2) The Speedometer is checked in about the same way, but you will have to securely raise the rear wheels off the ground and be able to start and engage a gear and have the wheels spin.

As for all the other electronic failures, check all your grounds for rust and good continuity. Then check all the fuses, even if the fuses are good, make sure they conduct electricity to both sides of the fuse holder as the "Bullet" fuses in these cars often have problems making contact.

I know this may be difficult for you, especially with the language barrier, so ask questions and let me know what you found, and I'll be glad to help. So which side of Cypress are you on? The Turkish or Greek side? Last time I was there, it didn't seem like the roads were all that conducive to high speed driving, so shifting by ear and crusing enthusiastically might be a temporary solution lol. Good luck Allan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one mor thing

thank you for the information. am gonna try it as soon as i have time, hopfully sunday.
just one more question: i can reach to the back of the dash board but i cant see, is there a way to remove the tablo. so i can see all the wiers?

any way am on the greek side of the island, ther roades are not bad, and trust me till am sure that the car is 100% fit, am not pushing it.
thank you once again and i will stay in touch:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Again, I don't have first hand knowledge of the model, but normally there a is "C" clamp that straddles the guage. The "C" clamp is held on the guage by 2 thumb screws or small nuts. If you feel around, it should be a bar about 15mm wide that will span the diameter guage and have legs going to the dash on both sides. Remove the clamp and the guage should pull out from the front of the dash. Don't pull too hard to pull off the wires, but you can usually get it out enough to see behind the guage. Good luck Allan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts