Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 164L. My brother's taillight bulb was not working, in trunk lid, drivers side, toward center of car. He removed the bulb to use a sample when he went to WalMart.

Upon starting the car (with the bulb removed) he noticed the radio reset itself, it went to 12 o'clock. Also, several things do NOT work: blinkers, taillights, dashboard illumination and the rear windows do not work!

He replaced the 1157 bulb with a 2057. The two brake warning lights on the dash stay lit all the time. The hazard lights do work. The radio has been reset and seems OK now.

Any suggestions as to what is happening here???

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction to post #1. The bulb was not in the trunk lid, it is one of the blinker/parking bulbs, mounted in the left rear fender.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
The 164 warning light setup, like the Milano, does not like changes in bulb specs, such as wattage. In this case, according to the listed bulb specs, the 2057 low powered filament is a different wattage than the 1157, 2 watts less, and perhaps the computer senses the difference and turns the warning lights on. The Alfa manual does discuss this, and does a song and dance about using identical replacement bulbs.

BTW, those particular warning lights to come on now and then just for the heck of it as well. Nothing particularly wrong in the systems they warn about, but sometimes they light up momentarily.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Where is the fuse(s) for the rear windows located?
Under carpeted coin holder in center console why do you ask? Rear windows have lockout switch in center console, too.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a puzzling problem, as described in post #1.

A left rear blinker/parking/brake light was not working. My brother removed the bulb and drove the car with the bulb removed.

While driving he noticed the radio "reset" itself (it went to 12 O'clock) , and the following did NOT work: directional blinkers, taillights, dashboard illumination, and rear windows. Two brake warning lights stay lit on the dash board.

He replaced the 1157 bulb with a 2057. He reprogramed the radio and that seems OK now, but all the other problems persist. The hazard lights do work.

He did say the rear window lockout is a little tricky to operate, but it has been that way for several years.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
First, I would put a 1157 bulb back in again. May not solve any problems but gets that anomaly out of the way, since as I mentioned, these Alfa warning systems don't like resistance/wattage differences in the circuits, and ends up flagging that situation.

Second, sounds like something shorted out, and perhaps blew several fuses? Did you check the appropriate ones? Also, was a ground left disconnected somewhere? Check all associated connections.

I suspect that the radio had to be reset because it lost power in your fiddling about, and then got power back. Some radios will act like that, depending on the make, how old it is, etc, depending on how they retain the internal settings. I have spare radios, Alpine being one, which slowly died this way, having to have all time power to retain their settings.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve, how do I access the fuses for the rear windows? (I also found the location of these fuses on page 99 of my owners manual.) Does the carpeted storage well lift out of the console? or do I need to remove the console?

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Steve, how do I access the fuses for the rear windows? (I also found the location of these fuses on page 99 of my owners manual.) Does the carpeted storage well lift out of the console? or do I need to remove the console?
Carpet rectangle should lift out.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is fixed, it was 2 fuses in the panel under the steering wheel. Replaced #5, 7.5A, directionals and rear windows then worked. Replaced #1, 15A, stop lamps then worked.

Something must have shorted when the bulb was removed. I still don't understand why the rear windows wouldn't work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts