Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 75 spider with a spica it runs well but in the fuse box the fuse to the right on the cover bolt when i install that fuse it kills the motor in about 10 seconds the fuse controls the fuel, oil, and pressure gauges .could 1 of the gauges be shorting out causing the motor to stop ???

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
i have a 75 spider with a spica it runs well but in the fuse box the fuse to the right on the cover bolt when i install that fuse it kills the motor in about 10 seconds the fuse controls the fuel, oil, and pressure gauges .could 1 of the gauges be shorting out causing the motor to stop ???
I don't like the "gauges be shorting out causing the motor to stop" theory. Here's why:

- When you have a short, fuses typically blow immediately. You didn't say that the fuse blows once you install it or after 10 seconds.

- The gauge's +12 connection would have to be shorted directly to ground to pull down the voltage enough to kill the ignition. But the gauge wire's insulation would melt (if the fuse didn't blow first) if it had to carry that much current. You'd know if the insulation was melting & smoking.

Might the decel solenoid be triggering as soon as that fuse goes in? The decel solenoid probably is fused (*), it does shut off fuel flow, and if it were turned on it might take a few seconds for the engine to die. Might your microswitch be stuck in the "on" position? Diagnostic: Pull the wire off the decel solenoid (tape up the end to prevent shorts), start the engine, and try inserting that fuse. If it keeps running, you've found the culprit.

*) Sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram for a Spica car that would confirm how the decel circuit is powered.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like Jay's theory about the decel solenoid. Pretty good for a guy who says he prefers Webers to SPICA!

According to my '73 wiring diagrams the decel solenoid is powered by the white wire that comes off of fuse #6.

Good luck with it!
Bob Stewart
'73 GTV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks jay that was the problem it runs with the fuse in now how do I fix the decal micro switch and where would that be

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Yea, I knew you'd ask that next.

Well, as Stooie pointed out, I am not the Spica expert here.

But here's what I know: the switch is mounted on your Spica pump and I don't think you can access it with the pump attached to the engine. Removing the pump is a bit of a job.

It's possible that your switch hasn't failed, but that it is out of adjustment. But again, I don't think you can adjust it with the pump in place.

You might try driving the car with the decel solenoid disabled. It may backfire on deceleration, but beyond scaring a few people, it won't do any harm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts