Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuse that controls the drivers side tail light and marker lights keeps blowing. It's the ninth fuse from the left, this has been an intermittent problem. Today it's constant, after taking apart the center console.

Today, I lost turn signals, the emergency flashers still work though. I'm replacing the tranny and took apart the console and removed the radio, which was on the same circuit as the turn signals. The fuse that controls the turn signals is intact. I inspected the fuse box and everything looks intact.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You don't say what number fuse is blowing. I know I don't know what kind of radio equipment you have, but the original radio was not a power hog less than 20W. One thing you should try to feed any of today's radio equipment (mine has 4 X 40 watt or 160W output capability) from a direct power source with its own in line fuse.

The manual shows the radio being powered from fuse #5 (7.5A) fusebox illuminating light, door buzzer being the only other loads.

Looks like your radio may be connected to the wrong supply and stressing the fuse with the additional load.

Best regards, Elio

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
As the hazard lights and turn signal both operate through the same circut (the relay at the lower left of the box which eventually chases to the 20A fuse in the #2 spot) and the only difference being which switch turns on which set of lights, (the rocker on the console or the stalk on the column), I'd guess you've got a sexy little short going on somewhere and quite possibly some messed up wiring at the fusebox proper.

The last time I had anything simular going on, it was a result of a wire being crushed in the steering column clamshell cover that eventually had it's insulation wear through, though that's not to say it didn't happen when you had the console apart as there's several great spots to pinch or run a screw through a wire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input...it appears I have somewhat of a mess on my hands...nothing corresponds to what you described...I didn't replace the radio yet, so there's no additional drain.

Looks like I'll be busy this week!

·
Administrator
16,655 Posts
Scroll down the BB's main page to the 'Electrical' section. Send PapaJam a PM and ask him for a copy of his excellent color-coded wire diagrams for your model Alfa (include your email address in the PM). He'll email you a couple of .pdf files that will make deciphering your car's electical woes a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Thanks for the input...it appears I have somewhat of a mess on my hands...nothing corresponds to what you described...I didn't replace the radio yet, so there's no additional drain.

Looks like I'll be busy this week!
Check the contacts on your bulbs. More than likely you have a loose ground contact on your driver side flasher making contact with the positive in the trunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts