Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are four lights mounted in the spoiler on the trunk, three of which are in the clear lenses facing down which are intended to light the license plate, and another in a separate fixture hidden behind a small cover on the underside in the center that illuminates the red-lensed "third brake light". There is also a single trunk area illumination lamp on the underside of the trunk lid, but it only comes on if the steering column light switch is switched "on" and the trunk lid is in the "open" position at the same time. I would not start hacking and splicing in new wires without first determining what the problem is, because you may end up having to remove and re-attach the spoiler, which is not a simple task. The wires hidden in the spoiler rarely break on their own, and are seldom the problem. Plus, you may run the risk of earning the reputation as a DPO.
Oh, so your saying the lever which operates the headlights has to be on in order for the trunk little illumination light will work and of course trunk in open position ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
That is the only light socket that gets powered by the red wire coming from the trunk button switch. I’m thinking if that is out of service, it might be stopping the rest of the trunk lights from getting power???? Any thoughts?
The light socket that powers the trunk brake light is indeed powered by that red wire, but that wire doesn't power anything else. The tag lights are powered by their own dedicated wire, though I can't remember the color. One thing they have in common is that they share the black, ground wire, which is the third wire in that trifecta of trunk lid wiring. So it could be the ground wire is at fault, in addition to the power supply wires. You're on the right track by checking continuity, and I know you'll find the issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The light socket that powers the trunk brake light is indeed powered by that red wire, but that wire doesn't power anything else. The tag lights are powered by their own dedicated wire, though I can't remember the color. One thing they have in common is that they share the black, ground wire, which is the third wire in that trifecta of trunk lid wiring. So it could be the ground wire is at fault, in addition to the power supply wires. You're on the right track by checking continuity, and I know you'll find the issue.
I am diving back in today, I think I have it sorted, but need to do a couple more things, trying shimming and grounding better. I know all works,

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Has anyone info on where I can order these boot light switch parts? I can find them listed unless I am not using the right name for the parts. They are the boot power switch components that operates the tag lid Htz and the 3rd. Brake light. If anyone knows who has them for sure, please share the info.
thanks .
Harry G.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Guy’s
I’m gonna guess, but I don’t know, what are the two rubber short straps in the back are of the floor neat the seat belt rollers? I’ll send a pic of what I have, I’m missing one I think it either hooks onto the conv, top steel arms to hold the top down when it’s in the retracted position? Also I’ll send a pic of the latch for conv. Top, anyone cancan send me a pic of what I’m missing from my latch so I have an idea what I need to get? Thanks, anyone have a spare rubber strap I can buy, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok. Thank you kindly for that info, can I ask what the loop for soft top clamp hooks up to and do you just rivet one end or fold if and rivet together? I’m sorry for stupid questions, my first Sports car. , I’m just tearing yo learn her. ?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
yep it is just something to grab on to open it.
so fold it and rivet it (need a rather large rivet head, or it will just rip through)
like this:
3.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG

the thin strap is there to stop it rattling

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If any one k owns where I can get luggage straps/ belts made or purchased, please share! I have a old Leather Hartmann Luggage suitcase that I would love to strap to the luggage rack with instead of bungies.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I’m going to try to modify the loop strap with a two sided snap instead of a rivet if it will fit.
mill let you know how that backfired on me.?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts