Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the facts, 1987 A/R. Spider Graduate, 2000 cc fuel injected.
Problem; Door panel red lights, three trunk tag lights, glove box and trunk lights not working.
Investigation; Checked all fuses, all good.
checked all bulbs, all good.
Checked continuity, all wires, connections check good for continuity.
car battery, new, tried lights with parking light on. Still not working.
problem; DRIVES ME CRAZY, I’m married to the LIGHT LADY! If lights don’t work,Car is Junk in her world, if all lights work. But rest of the car is missing. I bought a Great car... HELP!
only thing I’m thinking is those lights are one some other type of relay or fuse block that I cannot check because I don’t have a clue as to where it is or what it could be. ?help with any ideas, I have all exposed until I can figure it out, Thanks For any thoughts!! I’ll follow with pics. Oh , and I wired and replaced under bonnet light, it works as it should.
Harry G

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had the same issue with tag lights - turned out the 3 point lid contact thingy wasn't making contact. I needed to shim both the upper and lower plates so when the trunk was closed they made contact again.
I had a trunk light that drove me crazy - bulb okay, voltage everywhere along the route, grounding switch okay, but no light. Turned out that the right hand tab that holds the bulb had no continuity to the rivet that attaches it to the wire connector. There was no apparent corrosion, rivet was tight, no play. Must have been a micro layer of corrosion beneath the rivet. A blob of solder bridging the tab and rivet fixed it. In your photo, the tab and rivet show a bit of 'patina', so I'd check there.
For the door light I'd check the wire where they enter the door - but then again, didn't you say that wire is good?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m seeing the trunk lights work when I put 12 V direct to them, I’m thinking the 12 V power is not getting up to them, I’m still going at it.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
59 Posts
All of those lights are on the number 1 fuse. I would make sure you have power to the fuse and through the fuse. I would also check the key switch because none of those will work if it doesnt get power through the key switch. Also papajam is a very helpful resource for wiring diagrams in color. Direct message him for a copy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of those lights are on the number 1 fuse. I would make sure you have power to the fuse and through the fuse. I would also check the key switch because none of those will work if it doesnt get power through the key switch.
Ok, I’ll check that, waiting on a fuse diagram, However, could this be the issue, all those lights have continuity and will light with direct 12v power to them, I found that the round Bulb socket in the boot lid does NOT SHOW CONTINUITY, and does Not light when I put 12v to it. The wires are jammed tight and could be pinched, I Kant free them up. That is the only light socket that gets powered by the red wire coming from the trunk button switch. I’m thinking if that is out of service, it might be stopping the rest of the trunk lights from getting power???? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
59 Posts
The papjam wiring diagrams has the fuse box shown a labeled. It you think the trunk switch is bad I would test the power coming from the switch. If there's power and no power out then the switch is bad. If there's no power into that switch you have a problem further up the line.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same issue with tag lights - turned out the 3 point lid contact thingy wasn't making contact. I needed to shim both the upper and lower plates so when the trunk was closed they made contact again.
I had a trunk light that drove me crazy - bulb okay, voltage everywhere along the route, grounding switch okay, but no light. Turned out that the right hand tab that holds the bulb had no continuity to the rivet that attaches it to the wire connector. There was no apparent corrosion, rivet was tight, no play. Must have been a micro layer of corrosion beneath the rivet. A blob of solder bridging the tab and rivet fixed it. In your photo, the tab and rivet show a bit of 'patina', so I'd check there.
For the door light I'd check the wire where they enter the door - but then again, didn't you say that wire is good?
Well, I didn’t get to the door light yet but just discovered that the wires, black & red that go to the boot lid 3rd brake light are pinched tight inside the skin of the boot, and that light socket testing a good bulb but no continuity at the socket, that is the only socket that gets a red wire from the button switch. I’m thinking of cutting and replacing with a new socket? Thinking that one could be the fault for all the others not getting power? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
59 Posts
I think that you will find that the "door panel red lights" are just reflectors.
I think your right unless its changed from 73 to 87. Mine look to be reflectors. I apologize if my advice is not 100% right. I am only familiar with the 72-73 spider graduates.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I didn’t get to the door light yet but just discovered that the wires, black & red that go to the boot lid 3rd brake light are pinched tight inside the skin of the boot, and that light socket testing a good bulb but no continuity at the socket, that is the only socket that gets a red wire from the button switch. I’m thinking of cutting and replacing with a new socket? Thinking that one could be the fault for all the others not getting power? Any thoughts?
Ohhhhh... Kkk good to know, thank you!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The papjam wiring diagrams has the fuse box shown a labeled. It you think the trunk switch is bad I would test the power coming from the switch. If there's power and no power out then the switch is bad. If there's no power into that switch you have a problem further up the line.
Ok. What “Switch” poweres the trunk lights, the one on the trunk or the one that is on the
Rear bumper that stays put when you raise the trunk? If I knew how the lights get powered, I can track it down???

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
59 Posts
Ok. What “Switch” poweres the trunk lights, the one on the trunk or the one that is on the
Rear bumper that stays put when you raise the trunk? If I knew how the lights get powered, I can track it down???
If the wiring is the same as a 73 spider then find the trunk light and follow the negative side wire and you should find a switch that open and closes the circuit. That switch uses a ground to complete the circuit. Check the ground to make sure it's good. Then check the switch to see if it allows current though. If the switch works then you have an issue with the positive running to the trunk light.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the wiring is the same as a 73 spider then find the trunk light and follow the negative side wire and you should find a switch that open and closes the circuit. That switch uses a ground to complete the circuit. Check the ground to make sure it's good. Then check the switch to see if it allows current though. If the switch works then you have an issue with the positive running to the trunk light.
Wheeeeeeew got 3rd light in middle of trunk on , but I thought that was only a 3rd brake light! Oh well back tomorrow for another butt whoopin!? beat up from the feet up right now!. Thanks all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wheeeeeeew got 3rd light in middle of trunk on , but I thought that was only a 3rd brake light! Oh well back tomorrow for another butt whoopin!? beat up from the feet up right now!. Thanks all.
Think someone before me possibly wired it wrong. I’m going to rip it all out tomorrow and build it with all new wire, connectors, etc. I’m getting power to the switch The lights are brand new , just are not receiving power from the switch, I will first try to shim it up like was suggested earlier,
?’s

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am searching and can’t find any replacement part for Bathurst brake light, or whatever that light is in the middle of trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
There are four lights mounted in the spoiler on the trunk, three of which are in the clear lenses facing down which are intended to light the license plate, and another in a separate fixture hidden behind a small cover on the underside in the center that illuminates the red-lensed "third brake light". There is also a single trunk area illumination lamp on the underside of the trunk lid, but it only comes on if the steering column light switch is switched "on" and the trunk lid is in the "open" position at the same time. I would not start hacking and splicing in new wires without first determining what the problem is, because you may end up having to remove and re-attach the spoiler, which is not a simple task. The wires hidden in the spoiler rarely break on their own, and are seldom the problem. Plus, you may run the risk of earning the reputation as a DPO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are four lights mounted in the spoiler on the trunk, three of which are in the clear lenses facing down which are intended to light the license plate, and another in a separate fixture hidden behind a small cover on the underside in the center that illuminates the red-lensed "third brake light". There is also a single trunk area illumination lamp on the underside of the trunk lid, but it only comes on if the steering column light switch is switched "on" and the trunk lid is in the "open" position at the same time. I would not start hacking and splicing in new wires without first determining what the problem is, because you may end up having to remove and re-attach the spoiler, which is not a simple task. The wires hidden in the spoiler rarely break on their own, and are seldom the problem. Plus, you may run the risk of earning the reputation as a DPO.
Very good comprehensive advise, I discovered that 3rd brake light today. The Socket was not showing continuity, I got that to light bit without it acting like a break light. ? I just got it to light by replacing it with an aftermarket, I just repaired the original I will tie it in tomorrow. That bulb is good. I see all the lights you mention and did not know about the steering column light switch, can you tell me where that is located? And I will continue to track and investigate tomorrow, and what is a DPO?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
There is a "combination" (parking lights, headlights, turn signals, windshield wipers) switch mounted on the steering column. The parking lamp/headlight switch is the rear stalk on the left side. And athough it seems obvious, it's easy to forget that the brake pedal must be depressed to activate the "third brake light" lamp.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts