Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new-to-me Milano clearly has its share of electrical problems, but before I get started I'd love any feedback/opinions. I've read a bunch of threads on the BBS and have some thoughts, but am always interested in those from folks with more experience...

1. The ARC is flashing disco lights - fewer lights with just the key in, but virtually all lights in a repetitive pattern with the headlights on.
2. When the hazards are on, the CHMSL flashes, and the brake light on the driver's side alternates flashing with the actual marker light. No flashing action on the passenger side.
3. Most of the rear lights are very dim.
4. The rear foglight switch is dimly illuminated any time the key is in the ignition. It works correctly with the key out, headlight switch on. It is NOT affected when I disconnect the rear taillights entirely.
5. The radio does not apparently work at all. Not too worried about it, but it would be nice if it did.
6. The rear windows generally do not work - if you jiggle the lockout switch overhead the relay under the dash clicks, and they'll work intermittently.

I have inspected/cleaned the grounds under the hood, and the ground distribution points under hood and by the fusebox. Everything actually looks very clean. The whole car is actually pretty clean...

The connectors at the taillights are FRIED at the ground points. Lots of arcing, burnt plastic, missing bits.

1. I understand the ARC's behavior is fairly normal, and I'm not too concerned - unless someone tells me otherwise. :)
2&3. I'm assuming that the fried grounds at the taillights are responsible for the goofy rear lighting behavior and the dim lights, but
4. I don't understand why the rear foglight switch stays dimly illuminated even with the rear lights totally disconnected. ?
5. Any ideas on the radio?
6. I assume I just need a new switch for the rear window lockout...

I saw a message posted that there's a dead Milano at a nearby Pick & Pull - I'm going to try and scavenge some new taillight circuits and that overhead switch from it.

Any other thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
1. The ARC is flashing disco lights - fewer lights with just the key in, but virtually all lights in a repetitive pattern with the headlights on.
2. When the hazards are on, the CHMSL flashes, and the brake light on the driver's side alternates flashing with the actual marker light. No flashing action on the passenger side.
3. Most of the rear lights are very dim.
4. The rear foglight switch is dimly illuminated any time the key is in the ignition. It works correctly with the key out, headlight switch on. It is NOT affected when I disconnect the rear taillights entirely.
5. The radio does not apparently work at all. Not too worried about it, but it would be nice if it did.
6. The rear windows generally do not work - if you jiggle the lockout switch overhead the relay under the dash clicks, and they'll work intermittently.

I have inspected/cleaned the grounds under the hood, and the ground distribution points under hood and by the fusebox. Everything actually looks very clean. The whole car is actually pretty clean...

The connectors at the taillights are FRIED at the ground points. Lots of arcing, burnt plastic, missing bits.

1. I understand the ARC's behavior is fairly normal, and I'm not too concerned - unless someone tells me otherwise. :)
2&3. I'm assuming that the fried grounds at the taillights are responsible for the goofy rear lighting behavior and the dim lights, but
4. I don't understand why the rear foglight switch stays dimly illuminated even with the rear lights totally disconnected. ?
5. Any ideas on the radio?
6. I assume I just need a new switch for the rear window lockout...

I saw a message posted that there's a dead Milano at a nearby Pick & Pull - I'm going to try and scavenge some new taillight circuits and that overhead switch from it.
2 & 3 will most likely be related to the fried tail lights. (so might 1)

4, many switches are illuminated (backlight) only when that function is available. The fog light switch should only be illuminated when the parking (side) lights or headlamps are on.

5 Too many possibilities at this stage, but there may be an inline fuse somewhere.

6 probably

Yes, hit the pick & pull and also grab the handbrake, sounds like the ratchet is gone. Handbrake lever should only be lifted while holding the button in so ratchet doesn't wear out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out the taillights on my 4/86 car are different from the 12/87 car at the junkyard. Physically similar, but the connectors on the taillight circuits are very different. My connectors are pretty pathetic, and its no wonder they arced and burned - the later design seems slightly better but still not great.

since there was only one circuit at the junkyard, I'm going to solder some pigtails onto my circuits, and use a Molex connector to connect the chassis wiring with my modified circuits. That seems like a good, long-term solution that will keep my car symmetrical. :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes they changed the design of the connections fairly early on. We've owned four '87 75s in my possession at some stage (two wrecks) and one of them also had the older style. The ground had been burnt out and a pigtail soldered in running off like you're thinking of doing. It appeared to work fine.

Oddly enough though, I'm quite certain all the '87s we've owned were all February build! Silly Italians! :D

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My solution to the taillight issue:

I also ran a common ground between the two taillights, and added a ground point using one of the studs that holds the lens on. Hopefully, sharing a ground and a more robust connection will lead to longer life.

Upside: All the taillights work properly, and it appears the dimly glowing foglight switch is cured. They seem pretty bright, too - brighter than I expected on an older car.

The ARC is still going bananas, and I still have no stereo.

No ideas on the ARC, but apparently I'm not alone, so that's ok. The stereo has power at both battery and switched wires, so I'm thinking it's the stereo itself. The fuse on the back of the head unit is fine.

Coincidentally (ironically?) the Alfa stereo is virtually identical to the factory stereo in late '80s/early 90s Saabs... I had a box of eight of them, but a month ago sold them on Ebay thinking I'd never use them again. Sure would be nice to have one to test with about now... :D

Hopefully it's now just a matter of a leaky rear brake caliper and I've got a roadworthy Milano!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts