Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's start at beginning electricity. Why can't I get any volt readings from the fuse contacts when I turn the ignition on? It is possible that my multi meter needs a new battery, but when checking both the battery and main hot wire (to alternator) it worked fine.

And yes, I know the '75 Alfetta GT's ignition is turned all the way on, just short of starting the car.

This came about in that my newly installed power window units work fine with the battery charger, but nada when connected to the car's electrical system. I had been running them up and down with the battery charger until today when I got the three switches fully wired. Nothing. Removed the wire to the 'fuse box' and the ground wire, hooked up the charger and the switches/windows worked fine - which tells me they do work.

However, the battery was down to 12.2 volts and the turn signals and hazard flasher weren't working. Charged up the (pretty new and recently checked out) battery and then the turn signals, etc. worked fine.

I naively assumed the power windows would work fine, but no go. So I drove it and that didn't help. I do believe my newly installed rebuilt alternator isn't fully charging - though I've had the doors open a lot lately and both interior lights are then on.

I'm not expecting help with the power window's part (unless you have suggestions), but why don't I get readings where I should? I have the windows hot wire on either 10 or 11 fuse and all of the lights that are fused to them are working (just double checked).

Mostly thinking out loud (again) but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Biba

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Makes no sense to me, but if I turn on the park, etc. lights, the windows work (ignition doesn't need to be on). For now I'm leaving it as is. For my radio and electric antenna I have them attached to always on contacts so I haven't run into this before.

Biba

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like perhaps someone has been doing some re-wiring in the past, do you have a wiring diagram for the car? If so and you can shoot me a pdf of it I can give you a hand.

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts