Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Electric Window Switch Or Fuse

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Forrest 
#1 ·
I have an '86 Spider Veloce, and its driver side window doesn't go up. This car is new to me, and I am new to the world of ALFA's. I had a friend fall in love with a women and follow her out of state. He had to sell the car and I happily bought the ALFA.

He said that the window switch was busted and I might be able to find a used one to swap. I disputed the busted switch idea while driving at night and noticed the switch was lit. I took off the door panel, reversed the polarity of the wiring to window motor and presto! The window went up when I pressed the down button. [Of course, now I can't get it down without simply re-reversing the wires which is easy enough.]

So if it is the switch, why does it light up when the instrument panel is lit? The both the down and the up button light up, and both "go dark" when depressed.

If it is not the switch, and it is the fuse or something else, why does it work when reversed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

#2 ·
The switch lights up because there is a light bulb inside it. That is seperate from the up/down function.

The fact the window will move when you swap leads on the switch would indicate the lift motor works. That is good news as they are quite expensive.

Get a new (used) switch. Try eBay or call APE (Alfa Parts Exchange). Maybe spraying some contact cleaner into it will get it to work again? (make sure it's compatable with plastic...)

#4 ·
Those switches have no circuit boards. All mechanical. Just pull the switch apart and clean it and make sure the contacts are touching when depressing the switch. The light bulb is in the center of the switch and as you depress the barrel, the light is obscured....so that is why they go dark. You'll understand as soon as you pull it apart.

The easiest way to remove one of the switch banks is to remove the ashtray, and reach up and in behind of the switch bank harness and press it forward...forcing the switch up and out of the center console. Disconnect the harness and go to work. Here is a picture of both styles of switches. The windows are the ones on the right. They are just individual spring loaded barrels. The hazard, rear fog light, and rear defrost switches are all like the hazard switch. They toggle on/off. The only difference between the two styles other than the contact layout is the bar on the side connecting two barrels.

Contact cleaner and a little strategic bending should fix your window switch.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

Reactions: papajam
#5 ·
Before taking the switch apart, I would check the wires inside the Accordian Doo Hickey between the door and the body. My Spider had a wire that had the casing worn off and was grounding out causing the window motor to only go up. A Butt connector fixed the problem.

Dave

#6 ·
Dave-When I reversed the polarity of the wires inside the door, I definitely checked inside the accordian. I pretty sure the problem isn't there. But thanks for the reminder.

John- I'll pull out the switches and have fun some contact cleaner then give you an update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.