Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I recently launched a Spider Electric vehicle convertion project. He just bought a '77 Spider and is in the process of dismantling and removing the engine.

We're looking for a few things:

1) wiring diagrams
2) any one who might be interested in taking away the old internal combustion engine and related parts
3) a little info about the 1977 model year and what we might expect from the ancillary systems, i.e. brakes, electrical, etc.
4) sources for small parts (door handles, dashboard knobs, etc)

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Paul

·
Registered
98 Posts
Paul,

Fascinating! Having just seen "Who Killed The Electric Vehicle," I'd say it sounds like a cool project you've endeavored upon. I don't have any wiring tips, etc--I'm sure you will find much knowledge here on the BB.

As an Alfa enthusiast, I'd like to suggest that you keep the car looking as asthetically "stock" as possible--at least as far as the interior/exterior is concerned. Obviously, under the hood will look quite different when you're done, but keeping the car otherwise looking as original as possible may garner the interest of other Alfisti/motorists who may consider a similar conversion once they become economically feasible, but who fear losing too much of their car's personality. Of course, a huge part of any Alfa's personality is it's Alfa engine, but since you've already started, I'd say you chose a good model/year (77 Spider).

I'd be curious to know what your perfomance goals are and what type of battery power you'd be using. The GM EV1 was a quick little car. Where are you located and will you post pictures of your progress?

I'm sure others can chime in on the info you seek.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Paul,
You might try looking for the wiring diagrams at your local library. I am always amazed that my library has had schematics for every year alfa I've owned:confused:

You should get familiar with Alfa Parts Exchange in Tracy CA for trim parts. It is much more economical than new parts for a project. The 1977 Spider will be the same as most others and I think it doesn't really have any special characteristics.

Are you in California? I might be interested in the motor and trans if you are tossing them.

Are you using the blueprints from the Mother Earth News to build the EV? I am curious about the project. Keep me posted and good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're in San Francisco and have the engine ready to come out. Seems a shame to bring it to a metal recycler, but at the moment that's the best option I've found. If anyone is interested in a '77 Spider engine now is the time to speak up. The goal is to have the engine compartment clean by labor day.

As for blueprints it would be somewhat innacurate to say we're following anything as tangible as blueprints (can you spell folly?). We're following two detailed web blogs that are ahead of us on converting their Spiders.

I had no luck with wiring diagrams at the local library...they had Hanes manuels for four or five other mid-70's models, but no '77 Spider Veloce. If any of you have a source that you could share, please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
A friend and I recently launched a Spider Electric vehicle convertion project. He just bought a '77 Spider and is in the process of dismantling and removing the engine.

We're looking for a few things:

1) wiring diagrams
2) any one who might be interested in taking away the old internal combustion engine and related parts
3) a little info about the 1977 model year and what we might expect from the ancillary systems, i.e. brakes, electrical, etc.
4) sources for small parts (door handles, dashboard knobs, etc)

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Paul
First, welcome to the BB!

For the 1977 wiring diagrams check the Electrical Forum sticky "Available Wiring Diagrams". BB member papajam is the resident expert on this subject, and he is also extremely knowledgeable in most other areas.

You should advertise the engine in the Parts For Sale forum, and it should get picked up quickly.

It would be good if you got a manual for your car... Cardisc (www.cardisc.com) is a good start, and of course there is always this BB, and also the Alfa Romeo Owners Club (not affiliated with this BB, 'though some of us do post here, as well). For a list of local chapters you can check the web site, www.aroc-usa.org.

For parts sources, there is a "Suppliers List" sticky in the general forum Anything about Alfa Romeos and Alfa BB.

This sounds like a very cool project. Be sure to keep us abreast of your progress and post pics - we love pics. Also, consider updating your profile with where you are located.

Best regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts