Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 82 gtv2.0 (alfetta gtv) has twin Dellorto 40DHLA carb, ram flo filters, Mallory Hi-fire 6AL ignition and street cams (don´t know specs as they came with the car) and a stock? mechanical fuel pump, sans fuel pressure regulator. I found a good used regulator/filter that I will be installing but I have a couple of questions:

Would I gain some hp by going to an electric fuel pump?
Which are the pros and cons?
I´ve seen some EMPI electric fuel pumps for Vw twin carb, one with 1.5-4psi and another one with 4-8 psi, will they work for my engine (2.0L)

eBay Motors: VW WEBER DELLORTO EMPI ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP 4-8 PSI (item 150122938147 end time Nov-11-07 12:38:37 PST)

eBay Motors: VW EMPI WEBER DELLORTO KADRON FACET ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP (item 250019285241 end time Nov-09-07 08:37:22 PST)

Your advice would be very helpful.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Ennio,
When I converted my SPICA to dual carbs I just went to the local parts store and got a universal electric fuel pump (3-6 PSI range...I think) and have had no problems for a year now. I think it cost me $15. I am using the same carbs as you are so you should be able to find a pump easily and cheaply that will do the job.

As for the HP gain...probably a little technically speaking but not enough to make a noticable difference in power. Every little bit helps though cumlatively...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've used an electric fuel pump with Dellortos, about 4 psi is right.
Unless you've got a problem with your mech. fuel pump, you're not going to get any real advantage from an electric pump. It doesn't sound like you're suffering from fuel starvation at the moment.

pros - less heat transfer from block to fuel (not that the standard pump has a problem with this)

cons - electric pumps are not the most reliable things
cost - you've already got your mech. pump.
clicking noise when ignition is on is annoying
mounting the elec. pump
blocking off the mech. pump hole
need a tachometric relay to cut power to the pump in the event of an accident, otherwise in an accident you might keep pumping fuel into your (possibly alight) engine bay - not good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Festy makes a very important point...you should install a fuel inertia switch (or the relay he mentions) so in case you have an accident or roll the car...the fuel shuts off. A car with a manual fuel pump won't have this safety switch. It would S%$K being trapped in your car should you have an accident and having the electric fuel pump keep pumping until it emptys your tank...all over you or your car or both.

I didn't think to mention it as my car had the switch. When I converted to carbs from the SPICA FI...I changed the fuel pump to the low PSI version. With you switching from a manual pump to an electric pump...your car won't have the switch. I think it's a good move to install one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts