Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing my standard mechanical fuel pump with a Bendix/Facet cylindrical type electric pump (sold by Centerline and others). My car is a Australian/Euro spec '74 GTV 2000.

I am seeking some advice on where to mount this pump. These pumps need to be mounted near the fuel tank and below the fuel line. I can mount the pump next to the tank in the suspension/diff area, but then the fittings will be above the fuel line. Anywhere else and it will interfere with suspension bits or be too close to the exhaust system.

Anyone here been there, done that? Where did you mount your pump, and what were the results.

Any idea's greatly appreciated.

Axeman74

·
Super Moderator
10,177 Posts
The attached photo shows the bracket on a GTA body used to mount these Bendix-style pumps. The bracket is on the right side of the car, on the vertical sheet metal that is behind the passenger seat (on LHD model cars).
To my knowledge, this is the only application of Bendix pumps that came from the Alfa factory (others no doubt will know of additional Alfa models that used these pumps).

Now, whether any of this is pertinent to a RHD car is a bit beyond me(I am assuming that anyone in Australia would have a RHD car). This mounting will probably work for you, since your exhaust is still on the LH side.

I mounted a Bendix/Facet pump on my Sprint GT in the same area, but by just drilling holes in the vertical panel, and using rubber isolators with nuts behind the upholstery that covers this panel on the interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I struggled with this issue on my 69 also. Others may flame me for this, but I decided that I preferred to have it in the trunk....at least for now. So I mounted it there, and the pump is above the tank level, but it seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The attached photo shows the bracket on a GTA body used to mount these Bendix-style pumps. The bracket is on the right side of the car, on the vertical sheet metal that is behind the passenger seat (on LHD model cars).
To my knowledge, this is the only application of Bendix pumps that came from the Alfa factory (others no doubt will know of additional Alfa models that used these pumps).

Now, whether any of this is pertinent to a RHD car is a bit beyond me(I am assuming that anyone in Australia would have a RHD car). This mounting will probably work for you, since your exhaust is still on the LH side.

I mounted a Bendix/Facet pump on my Sprint GT in the same area, but by just drilling holes in the vertical panel, and using rubber isolators with nuts behind the upholstery that covers this panel on the interior.
The RHD GTAs had the same mounting bracket in the same location as Jay shows. This GTA set up is for Dual Pumps. The TI Super used a single Bendix mounted Where???

On my 2 Litre FI Blocked Super with carbs I mounted the pump in a similar location as the FI pumps are located in the US spec Alfas, that is under the chassis on the forward right side of the trunk/boot compartement. I also had a similar setup on a GTV years ago.

If I were to do it again I would follow the GTA set up.

FWIW

Ken

·
Super Moderator
10,177 Posts
Aren't the Bendix/Facet pumps sensitive to orientation? That is, aren't they supposed to be installed with the axis of the cylinder vertical? They probably still pump fuel when mounted horizontally (like a Spica pump), but the filter wouldn't capture the crud as well, since gravity wouldn't trap it at the base.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for your response Alfajay. I am familiar with the GTA mounting, and did consider putting it in this location. However, my car has a solid fuel line that goes all the way to the tank, and to use the gta mounting I would have to cut and reflare the line, which I didn't want to do just in case I chose to go back to the original mechanical pump sometime in the future. Also, I think gta's used a specially made flexible hose from the pump to the tank (perhaps you can confirm). I wouldn't feel comfortable running such a long rubber hose from the pump to the fuel tank.

In any case, I think I may have found a solution to this problem. I can fabricate a bracket to mount the pump in the suspension/diff area, in front of the fuel tank. By doing this I can also incorporate a heat shield of sorts to keep exhaust heat away from the pump, and I would also be negating the problem of the pump being above the fuel line. I hope my idea works.

Thanks again,

Axeman74

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aren't the Bendix/Facet pumps sensitive to orientation? That is, aren't they supposed to be installed with the axis of the cylinder vertical? They probably still pump fuel when mounted horizontally (like a Spica pump), but the filter wouldn't capture the crud as well, since gravity wouldn't trap it at the base.
Facet instruct you to mount the pump vertically, but in practice they can also be mounted horizontally. However, your theory re the filter then comes into practice, which is probably the reason facet tell you to mount vertically.

I should mention that the pump I am using is not an original Facet pump, but a Japanese made version of the Bendix/Facet design. It looks, and operates exactly the same as the Bendix/Facet design, and was found on some production Japanese cars in the 80's (Nissan in particular). I have used these pumps before, and actually found them to be higher quality and more reliable than Facet made pumps.

Axeman74

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Facet instruct you to mount the pump vertically, but in practice they can also be mounted horizontally. However, your theory re the filter then comes into practice, which is probably the reason facet tell you to mount vertically.

I should mention that the pump I am using is not an original Facet pump, but a Japanese made version of the Bendix/Facet design. It looks, and operates exactly the same as the Bendix/Facet design, and was found on some production Japanese cars in the 80's (Nissan in particular). I have used these pumps before, and actually found them to be higher quality and more reliable than Facet made pumps.

Axeman74
The 1989 Facet Manual I have indicates that the pump can be mounted in any orientation but they recommend the outlet at least 45 deg above the horizontal to allow passage of vapour. I also read that if you mount the pump upside down you can increase the pressure beyond the rated by 1 PSI due to the weight of the plunger.

I have posted some GTA Parts manual and Facet manual pages in another post.

BTW I too currently run a Japanese/bendix pump in my 2litred Super.

FWIW

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts