Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 1978 spider veloce.

I am working on the fuel system, I have removed the Bosch three outlet electric fuel pump and could not find a replacement (I was told they do not make this pump any longer), however I have purchased a two outlet fuel pump. The parts company informed me that it would work in my application and also informed me that someone had posted detailed instructions on this BB as to how to do it. I could not find that posting does anyone know of this posting (I believe it is the GTV section).

Thank You.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Isn't the 2 outlet a Spica pump from the early 70 models that "everyone" recommends replacing with a Bosch unit?

Does it look like the fuel pump on the top in this photo?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The three outlet pump incorporated an integral 17 psi pressure relief. Cars with the two port pumps had a pressure relief valve in the front fuel filter.

You can replace the old 3-port OEM Bosch pump with a 2-port Bosch L-jet model sold by Centerline or IAP, etc. They'll know exactly which one to send you. That said, you'll have to block off the return line (or take the "T" out of the system altogether). You may also have to narrow the restrictor in the outlet fitting of the injection pump itself to "dial-in" the proper pressure, 10-17 psi. When retrofitting a 2-port pump, I recommend keeping an ebay lookout for a front fuel filter with the integrated PRV. When retrofitting the 2-port pump just keep in mind that the system doesn't have a 17 psi PRV, although even the 2-port pumps have an internal PRV, but it's set at a much higher psi than the normal Spica system pressure (7-17psi). If you do put in a 2-port pump and don't have a front fuel filter with the PRV, I highly recommend that you check the system pressure with a pressure gauge to be sure that it's running in the nominal range. And, of course, NEVER deadhead-check the pressure of the main supply pump. Use a "T" fitting because it's a recirculating system. Deadheading an in-tank boost pump (3.5 psi) is ok, however, BUT NOT the main supply pump.

Go to HP PUMPS and download the Fuel System guide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts