Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, sigh... have to ask, did a search and found a few things close to this, but not quite the same... would this work on an '84 Spider (any Spider)?

They seem to range in price ($300.00 - this one - down to $69.00 or so)... I find this hard to believe... anyone tried this product? Did it help at all in increasing your performance?

Here is the link for the "pricey" one...

http://www.engineboosters.com/catalog/item/3121064/2656538.htm

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money on one of those. Back when I owned a Toyota Spyder a guy actually did the math and then a test to see if they did anything. If I am not mistaken the results were not very good.

If you try it, let us know the results...

Ed

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wide Aperture Suction Torque Expander Or Forced Turbulence Intake Manifold Enhancer.

Ok, sigh... have to ask, did a search and found a few things close to this, but not quite the same... would this work on an '84 Spider (any Spider)?

They seem to range in price ($300.00 - this one - down to $69.00 or so)... I find this hard to believe... anyone tried this product? Did it help at all in increasing your performance?

Here is the link for the "pricey" one...

http://www.engineboosters.com/catalog/item/3121064/2656538.htm
Here you go. Complete instructions on a "Do it yourself" electric blower. :D

Fun for the whole family.:p

http://www.bimmers.com/m3/hoax/

Dave

·
Registered
460 Posts
No matter how much power your engine makes, you still have to wait 2 seconds to shift from 1st to 2nd so that it doesn't crunch!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... I just may try it... wonder what is any diff there is between this $300.00 one and the $69.00 ones being offered all over the net... they sure do "look" the same... I still am very suspicious... but for $69.00... may be worth something to try on a slow weekend. :D

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If you strap that on to your car, I will come with my trailer and take your car home with me.:D Call it Alfa Social Services!:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
this scam comes across every once in a while. they claim horsepower increases, but post scfm (standard cubic feet per minuit) ratings without pressure ratings. you need boosted pressure to increase hp. there are formulas for horsepower needed for pressure increase with scfm, and a 2.2 amp 12 volt motor just isnt enough.
cliff

·
Registered
281 Posts
.....or you could re-route your a/c ducts through the firewall, into the engine compartment, and into the airbox. It would both force air like a supercharger and cool the air like a blast of nitrous. Just be sure that when you turn on the a/c to high..........hold on! If it sound so good to be true...........

I actually saw one of these things on a car once about 20 years ago and the owner said he bought the car since it had a special electric turbocharger!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I once read in a trade mag. that Siemens or some other company was developing an Electric Supercharger for very small displacement engines used in Hybrid applications. Taking advantage of the higher voltage systems used in Hybrids, the Supercharger would only boost about 1 or 2 lbs max.

I guess anything to help the Prius get off the line.:eek:

Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Better have some sort of boost referenced fuel delivery set up for that monster blower. Hate to see you burn a piston:D

In reality, for about $69 you can get a good used eaton style supercharger or maybe a g-60 off a VW or something. If you scrounge and fabricate enough stuff yourself, I think you could actually get a start on decent working blower setup for pretty cheap.

From the ebay posting...This is one of the funniest things I have read in a while.

Electric Supercharger - Air Intake Blower
Need boost? Can’t afford a turbo or supercharger? Air Intake Blower adapts to either your short ram or cold air intake. It will work on absolutely any air intake brand including AEM, Injen, Mimousa, Weapon R etc. Simply remove your current air filter and put the Air Intake Blower as a replacement. It’s that simple. The Air Intake Blower is operated on a 12-volt source. This means you can contact it to your battery to get the power. It uses 2.2 amps from your alternator while at work which doesn’t create any pressure on it especially while driving at high RPMs. The Air Intake Blower is contacted to a switch inside the car, so whenever you need more power you simply flip the switch and fly away. Air Intake Blower produces 250CFM of forced air into your intake. It is not noisy, it makes a nice sound making it seem like you,ve got something bigger than what you actually have under the hood. A stock turbo from an Audi 1.8T produces 400CFM. Adding an Air Intake Blower will produce more then half of the power of a stock Audi 1.8T turbo but you don’t need to do any modifications to your engine. 250CFM of forced air can also be compared to a 15-25 shot of Nitrous.
Produces 15 – 25 horsepower increase
Generates 250CFM of forced air
Universal Bolt-on, installs on any short ram or cold air intake
K&N Filter included
Installation instructions and all necessary installation hardware included
Pipes are not included, must have either a short ram or cold air intake to install properly
Universal application – Unit will replace your aftermarket air intake filter please check to see if there is enough room by your air intake filter to install the unit
Technical Data - How it works: All stock air intakes are designed to intake a certain amount of air. The intake ratio is usually set at only 10% of its full capacity. In other words your stock air intake is designed to only intake 10% of the air that it could intake. This leaves 90% of the air suspended from entering your engine. The reason you get horsepower increase when you get a short ram or cold air intake is because you are no longer restricting the air to come in. The air is being free flowed by your engine itself. If you measure how much capacity is left over after installing a short ram or cold air intake, you will realize that you have about 60%-70% capacity left of potential air to enter your engine. This is where the Air Intake Blower comes to place. It will be help your engine intake more air resulting in making less pressure on the engine itself, horsepower increase and improving gas mileage.

ECU Air Intake Ratio: Each car has an ECU installed to measure how much air ratio is entered into the engine. To get the best results we recommend purchasing a performance chip for your car before installing the Air Intake Blower. The performance chip will tell the ECU to intake more air then usual, which will result in even greater horsepower increase. When the Air Intake Blower will be working, the amount of air that it will force-in will get the ECU confused as to why so much air is being entered. You don't have to worry about ruining your engine or having the ECU malfunction. The ECU will simply adapt to the effect that there is more air being entered and it will let it through, it will not reject it. It will continue to operate as usual. The factory ECU is designed to work at 10% of its capacity. When the Air Intake Blower will be on, the ECU will consider it to be above normal, as it will be working at 70% of its capacity. This is the reason why you can install the Air Intake Blower without modifying any engine parts in your car. Your car was capable of producing this power from the start. It was just never unleashed.

This is easily the most creative piece of pure fiction I have read since I finshed the latest Harry Potter. LMAO! Classic. :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heh heh heh... ya'll are cracking me up! Ok, reckon I'll save my $$$ for something else fun like placing spark plugs in the exhaust pipes. :D

I love my car, just want to "go faster" sometimes... seems I'm always the last person at the lights... oh well, at least I got some style. They may be faster, but I'm better. Thats my story and I'm stickin with it. :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Although it does seem like it would be a cool concept, the reality is that it takes about 10-20 crankshaft HP to turn a small blower making7-10 psi. For comparison, it takes about 800HP to spin the big roots blowers on a top fuel car! I think the electric supercharger from ebay might be be 1/4hp on a great day, most of the 20hp electric motors I've seen are about the size of the Spider engine bay and run on three phase 480v power, which isn't really all that practical for spinning a blower in a car. Lots of volume and pressure involved to make boost. There's some major fantasy and complete lack of understanding by the guy who wrote that ebay ad.

10% ECU capcity...SWEET! I'm now going out in the garage to get the leaf blower and a shop vac attached to my intake to see If I can find that extra 1100hp of capacity that's not yet been unleashed from my ECU:D

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts