Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Alfisti,
I've been lurking and posting here since I started my project.
Since the car is at the mechanic's getting buttoned up for its maiden voyage this weekend my hands are clean enough to start uploading some pictures

A bit of background first.

For the past 4 years I had been building one of my lifelong dreams. A sleeper.
So I found 4 blazers / s10's, picked the best of these, settled on an 88, built a 500 hp small block (first ever engine build) slapped it in, lowered it (properly) and went autocrossing.
Had a blast but then the local autocross club moved to a real track which didn't allow trucks so all I could do is go cruising. This beast was fast but it had limited uses. My wife wouldn't ride in it (and shes a heavyfoot), my 3 kids loved it and the two older ones helped out in their own way in part of the build.
Back in May, I took my youngest Max, strapped his car seat and drove into the secluded industrial area around my shop. We went drifting, powersliding, laying rubber and generally irresponsible hooning. we had a blast and were giggling like schoolgirls. We got home, wife was not happy that we both smelled like burnt rubber and gasoline, so I put Max to bed and went into the garage. My friend Hamie came over and we cleaned up the truck. While working on it, Hamie said to me "Hey Gio, I gotta ask you, you're Italian, you live the lifestyle, you eat the food, you drink the espresso, you fly the flag... why are you driving this thing?" He was always a Ferrari fanatic and thinking back to my youth, so was I. I never had blazer posters on the bedroom walls, I had Lamborghini, Alfa, Maserati and Ferrari posters. Anyway, my consolation was this truck that I built would leave Hamie at the stoplights looking for his doors, but I kind of felt silly in it, it felt like something I should have had in my 20's. Anyways, next day I go to pick up Max from daycare and his teacher wanted to see me. She told me that Max told her about our shenanigans the night before and that he hurt his head on my shoulder and on the inside door. In his words he made it sound like we were in an accident. after assuring the teacher we were fine I went home and put up the pics we took the night before on kijiji and in one day sold the truck. This wasn't the vehicle I was going to enjoy.
By the next night, I had a 1981 Spider Veloce in my garage. So almost overnight my garage became the "2 knuckleheads garage"
And the adventure begins.

Cheers
Giovanni

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Sweet! My Granddaughter sometimes also gets me in trouble. We call mine "the race car". Congratulations on the Alfa, your in the right spot, welcome. Now that the Alfa is "finished" ha! My next project is to find a wrecked late model Chevy pickup and stab a small block into my 1980 MB 240D for the ultimate sleeper.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Nice story! You don't hang around when it comes to selling and buying. I think about selling then think again and decide not to...

What's the plan for the Alfa, a 3.0 v6?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Cool story bro...tell another.

Sorry. Couldn't resist! It was actually entertaining, and well written. Welcome to the BB.

Now, first thing you need to do is collapse those ugly bumpers into the body. They sit on little shock absorbers, and will look dramatically better when they are pulled in 3" each. I did a thread on mine: Bumper Job.

The effect is huge, and much more pronounced in three dimensions than in photos. And it only takes a couple hours if you are slow and methodical.

Or if you've got three grand to drop, you could buy a set of chrome bumpers...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice story! You don't hang around when it comes to selling and buying. I think about selling then think again and decide not to...

What's the plan for the Alfa, a 3.0 v6?
The plan you ask...
This one's strictly a cruiser. This will be my wife's. She's named her "Allegra"
So much work went into the spider and for such a cold place like Edmonton, it was surprisingly relatively rust free. It was bought in Edmonton by a resident of Yellowknife from the Northwest Territories, then came back to Edmonton.

Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Boccaccia
It's too late for my bumpers. The front was mint, but the back one was split where the strip went on it.

You're right though. I would definitely do it to the next one if it had the same bumpers. It DID make a world of difference on yours. I wish I found this link before I tackled my bumper conversion.

I stopped by my mechanic Tony today and he should have "Allegra" back to me by tomorrow.
Can't wait as I haven't driven her yet.

Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a few shots of tear down.

The monofarfalla spica

150 psi across the board on first startup after 8 years.

And the parts started coming off...

Everyone pitched in..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to give a shoutout to a local young entrepreneur. Thank you Lance at Cyclone Coatings in Edmonton.

He powder coated the rims which weren't my favorite until he was done with them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey Giovanni, nice work on the alfa and the blazer. Blazer looks like fun and probably goes like hell. Did you get the alfa out while the weather was still nice? Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Neil
I just got back from a drive with my wife. She loves it! The only problem is I have a knock in my front drivers wheel which goes with the speed. When I took the wheel off I couldn't get anything out of it. Hub spins freely but driving on it is annoying.
About the blazer, when I first auto crossed it, it would lift rear wheel but once it planted it would go like a bat out of hell. The first time I went out I didn't have posi. Once I put it in it was a whole different truck.
Cheers
Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While the car was at the mechanics, he traded me valve covers which I had powder coated by my friend Lance. He had just done a ferrari valve cover set so he had the crinkle finish powder. He did a fabulous job and then sanded the Alfa Romeo script. Couldn't be happier with the finish. I also got the cap done in the same color.
Cheers
Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And... All the oil that spewed out from under the loose fitting cap wiped right off. A gasket from one of the moka espresso makers fixed that!
Cheers
Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got wheels off and started by tightening driver side bearing (it was loose).
Then I started hitting the disc with my thumb and got it to make the noise at the bottom of the disk. So I went back and over tightened the same bearing and the noise is gone.
I've since reset the bearing. I'm thinking loose caliper?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts