Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the following message if I try to edit a post:

"You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days"

What is this all about? Why have such a limit?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
You say they can be edited.... but I get this error and I have not edited 10 different posts in 7 days. I can edit the title of my post but not the body. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Please post links to those of your posts that you have edited.
I can't post links to post I've edited if I can't edit posts.

I've edited 0 posts in 10 days.
I am not trying to be a jerk. Seriously, if I am the only person that this has happened to I do not care, I will deal with it. This website has been a monument to mediocrity since Simon sold it; its par for the course at this point. If it is an actual problem for all lets fix it?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I am not trying to be a jerk. Seriously, if I am the only person that this has happened to I do not care, I will deal with it. This website has been a monument to mediocrity since Simon sold it; its par for the course at this point. If it is an actual problem for all lets fix it?
You're not, happened to me yesterday, and again today when I tried to make two edits and was only able to make one allotted edit before receiving the "you can only edit ten posts a week" message.

·
Administrator
16,645 Posts
We (your moderators - powerless to make these changes ourselves) have been trying to get the attention of the BB Admins about this issue. We did get them to allow some editing (not sure why it is limited to 10 posts/week). We're also trying to get that 'feature' changed. Please be patient.

See replies 170 - 173: We Are Live - Community Feedback

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
So I am able to edit some posts but get "only able to edit 10 posts per week" on another. Not sure why but sure would like to know.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obviously an arbitrary rule.

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
As Eric said, we. your Moderators, are powerless to fix these problems as they are software related and software driven, however from the first day of the big platform change, the Edit function has been a sore point and we have raised this point with the BB Admins who own the site and get paid to fix this stuff. Their initial reply was that no edit function would be forthcoming and that users must contact a Mod every time they want to edit a post and we must do it on your behalf.... obviously that doesn't work for us as there are 75000 of you and 5 of us (did I mention that we are unpaid), so we have persisted and have motivated and justified why we need you to have your Edit function back again. They then agreed and acquiesced to the 10 post edit thing, but the roll-out of the patch is buggy, we raised it with them & they are working on it...

Lots of mails & requests & motivations & some pleading behind the scenes - we want your FULL Edit function back as much as you do, but the 10 post thing is a step in the right direction.

Aye
Greig

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information. Keep at it. As a forum in which posters often offer technical information concerning our cars, it is important that the information be as accurate as possible, and that means that we should be able to edit previous posts in order to correct mistakes, ie, remove erroneous advice we may have given, change the general content, or alter the tone of the post. This may require multiple editing attempts in order to get it just the way we want it to read, most of us hardly being perfect, lol.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
The Alfabb and it's content is invaluable. There is more concentrated, technically specific Alfa Romeo information contained here than anyplace else in the world. Because of the often highly technical issues discussed here---topics that are simply not addressed elsewhere---being able to revise and edit your comments has always been an essential and valuable feature of this site. While the owners of this site along with the IT folks that maintain it tend to see the BB as a business, they are also---whether or not they want to admit it---as much curators of a fragile cultural resource as they are IT managers. This is where the disconnect lies. Failure to recognize this can do terminal damage to the Alfabb.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
The Alfabb and it's content is invaluable. There is more concentrated, technically specific Alfa Romeo information contained here than anyplace else in the world. Because of the often highly technical issues discussed here---topics that are simply not addressed elsewhere---being able to revise and edit your comments has always been an essential and valuable feature of this site. While the owners of this site along with the IT folks that maintain it tend to see the BB as a business, they are also---whether or not they want to admit it---as much curators of a fragile cultural resource as they are IT managers. This is where the disconnect lies. Failure to recognize this can do terminal damage to the Alfabb.
For what it's worth, having posted the above comments I can find no indication in anything I'm looking at that indicates that I have an edit function available. If there is one available would someone tell me where it is located?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
For what it's worth, having posted the above comments I can find no indication in anything I'm looking at that indicates that I have an edit function available. If there is one available would someone tell me where it is located?
If you click on the three dots to the right you will get a drop down menu with Edit being one of the choices (if you're within your ten edits per week and there are no other problems)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
Thanks for the information. Keep at it. As a forum in which posters often offer technical information concerning our cars, it is important that the information be as accurate as possible, and that means that we should be able to edit previous posts in order to correct mistakes, ie, remove erroneous advice we may have given, change the general content, or alter the tone of the post. This may require multiple editing attempts in order to get it just the way we want it to read, most of us hardly being perfect, lol.
Totally agree with both of you on all counts and yes this is along the lines of the motivations & justifications we used

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
If you click on the three dots to the right you will get a drop down menu with Edit being one of the choices

Found it, thanks.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
One of the most interesting things about the BB is that its population, coming from literally around the world, also tends to be both very literate and well educated. I also surmise that, given who we are, more than a few of us come from occupational backgrounds where we have quite a lot of experience working with IT shops and new software rollouts. Without showing more asperity than might be customary, I doubt that I'm alone when I say we're having a very familiar discussion.

It's worth noting that VerticalScope owns everything we post here. With that in mind it's not all that surprising that our mods met proprietary resistance when requesting the restoration of an edit function. While I find it pretty surprising that a technically oriented site like the BB would have its edit function removed, I don't think this happened as an accident: The company that owns the BB or its IT guys were simply acting to protect information from end-user tampering.

Having spent a long career working in numerous bureaucracies, ours is a very familiar conundrum. As was said to me once when I asked about the limited utility of a new install, "IT doesn't want you end-user goblins messing with our install . . . !" In the eyes of that long ago information technology manager, his bureaucracy's end-users---the very people the new software was purchased to help---were a bunch of whining goblins who threatened all his hard work. I suspect that within the reaches ot Vertical/Scope someone thinks of us as end-user goblins. Hopefully this is something we can get past.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts