Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have problems with ebay seller venetian_romeo for Alfa parts from LA? I'm waiting on two items and this seller is no longer registered. I'm feeling like I may have been burned. Anyone else?

Andrew

·
Registered
64 Posts
Too Soon To Tell?

Andrew,
I just completed a small purchase, $13.45, today. After seeing your posting I investigated my purchase. PayPal had completed the credit card payment. I won't be out any money, but I really don't need another hassel. My transaction is unusual because now the item I purchased "does not exist"!! The payee is more complicated than usual. The payee is listed as venetian_romeo, bowery_boys1913, Naomi Kern and also Kyoko Niikura.

I think we will never see the items we paid for. Venetian_romeo was still registered when I made my payment. It will be interesting to see how effective the customer resolution process is as opposed to working with American Express. Good luck to both of us!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lusk

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I bought a 1750 dealer parts catalogue off that seller a couple of weeks ago, but he didn't ever send me an invoice with shipping costs despite 4 requests from me, so the transaction didn't proceed. I then got the same message as you guys yesterday that the seller is no longer registered.

Definitely a dishonest ebayer. In this situation, ebay should track the seller via his name and address, and refuse any attempts to register under different usernames. Ebay needs to lift its game!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, I guess I won't be getting my speedo/tach. Good thing it was only $15.00 But I've had a good experience with Paypal concerning a deadbeat seller before, so I'm sure I will get a refund. Hard to believe someone would expose themselves to the legal hell I'm sure Paypal could threaten for such small dollar amounts.

The funny part is that I don't need the instruments now.

A

·
0 Posts
I usually don't care for these kinds of postings, most are not backed up by facts, HOWEVER the name KERN is a red flag, former ebay member (long ago) purchased quite a few items, got me that way. then "sold" those items, and Andrew was looking for that seller also. Got him as a buyer. not 100% sure but I remember that user name as milanoitalia, burned me for 100's in Milano Verde NOS. TURNED OUT TO BE A FATHER/SON TEAM. probablay registered a NEW user name long enough ago to not have the name-change ICON next to the new name and will be back in business soon.
Once again I am not certain about the user name, Andrew, does that user name ring a bell?

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got burned by Paul Kern a couple years ago on similar stuff, so I was thinking it was the same person.

Andrew

A

·
0 Posts
If you check your records from that purchase you might be suprised to learn they haven't even relocated.:eek: Email address and username can change, always keep the physical address on file. good advice, but much too late this time.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I initiated a dispute resolution with paypal, and yes, it's apparently the same seller name as before, Paul/Naomi Kern, for what it's worth. We'll see.

Andrew

A

·
0 Posts
the Jr & Sr part of the scam allows them to claim that the credit card use was unauthorized. As a seller you can cancel any bid if you can not verify the Identity, Ask for the address, If they don't respond, cancel the bid, if they do and it's ok no problem, if they do and it's him, contact Ebay. As a bidder, bid early, request contact info from Ebay, if necessary contact Ebay to report. If you receive an invoice, check send payment to address before paying. All this requires an Address, so keep it in a file.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Uh Oh!

Looks like I might be headed towards my first-ever Ebay skunking. I was the successful (only) bidder on a fog lamp last Sunday and sent my Paypal payment promptly. While it's premature for me to start the complaint process, after reading this thread I sent a message to the seller requesting the shipping status.

I'll be checking back here often and likewise will share anything I learn.

Best,
Bob A.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Money Back

Thanks for the heads-up. I almost bid on a valve cover from this vendor. Awhile back I lodged a complaint against a vendor (Jag Graveyard) who did not deliver the item I paid for and did not respond to several inquiries via e-Bay as guided by them. After due course through the PayPal dispute process, PayPal refunded my payment. Always work through e-Bay to make such correspondence traceable. Perhaps not as satisfying as Louie the legman but it gets your money back.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I get annoyed that Ebay doesn't do more to protect buyers from these scam artists.

Users such as this one should be tracked by their name and address, and simply banned. It can't be that hard to do. If we are able to figure out it's the same person using several different usernames, why can't Ebay?

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it appears I may have been hasty. After weeks of no communication at all, I received my items today from venetian_romeo, from a totally different name and address from who emailed me. Coincidence that they came they day after I discussed it here and opened an ebay/paypal claim? Dunno, whatever, but I will be more careful in the future. The seller did have minimal feedback when I bid, but had numerous positives by the time I paid, so I felt reasonably comfortable. Screwy world.

Andrew

·
Registered
64 Posts
Andrew,
I also have a complaint lodged with PayPal and two unanswered emails. Perhaps I will be lucky and get my item also. We weren't hasty, especially since you had a previous experience with one of the payees. It got especially screwy when eBay said that the item number didn't exist, but PayPal had paid based on the same item number that existed for them, me and the auction.
Bob
(used2b)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You weren't hasty. I was the successful bidder on an original 1750 dealer parts catalogue (at $20)...a bargain I thought. He didn't ever send me the shipping amount, so I couldn't complete the transaction. He then de-registered that username, and vanished. I suspect he wasn't happy with the selling price, so he just vanished rather than honouring the deal.

Regardless of who may have had a positive experience with him, there are plenty who haven't, so he/she/they/it deserve the bad reputation.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am figuring there is a connection between my having complained, discussed it here, and got my items right after.

Andrew

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was getting frustrated with this guy also. I purchased lug nuts from one of his auctions and it took lots of emails to both Ebay and Paypal but they finally arrived today! No note, explanation, or apology?
He is no longer a registered Ebay user.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Got my Part

Well, I hate to break the chain of pessimism, but I received the part I won last Sunday in reasonably good time - about a week from California by USPS isn't bad. The lamp was as advertised and well packaged. Aside from not answering my email, I'd give this seller positive feedback if he/she were still on Ebay. Hope others' issues are resolved as favorably.
Regards,
Bob A.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, did anyone end up with the Super/TI "nipple" foglight I "bought" from him last year? I wonder how many times it may have been sold?

Andrew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts