Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Is this new forum just automatically listing everything that appears on ebay with "Alfa Romeo" in the title? If so, that seems unnecessary as we could always just do the same search on ebay if we were interested. Here it just seems like a lot of clutter. Since I tend to use the "new posts" feature on the BB it means scanning through more than double the usual amount of posts to find what I'm interested in. Also, since they are almost all posting under Simon's moniker, it has the unintended effect of making me ignore all of his posts to sift through a little more quickly.

I think having a separate ebay section may be a good one for BB members to post their own ebay listings. This would distinguish them from the direct "For Sale" items since posting ebay items in this section seems to be a pet peeve of a lot of people on the board. It also makes sense as a forum for someone other than the seller to call attention to an item that they think others BBr's would find interesting. The way it's currently loading up, though, seems to be a matter of too much information making it too much trouble to sort through. I'm not a whiner and I can certainly adapt if this is the way it is to be but I have a feeling I'm not the only one. And let me take this opportunity to express my appreciation for Simon's hard work in making this such a great site. Obviously it requires some experimentation.;)

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I'm with you Bill. I use the "new posts" function a lot too, and now I get bombarded with eBay listings. I don't like it at all. If this is in some way helping Simon keep the site up, I will live with it....but if it was merely intended to be a benefit, I could do without.
Either way, thanks for all your efforts Simon, the AlfaBB rocks!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm with you Bill. I use the "new posts" function a lot too, and now I get bombarded with eBay listings. I don't like it at all. If this is in some way helping Simon keep the site up, I will live with it....but if it was merely intended to be a benefit, I could do without.
Either way, thanks for all your efforts Simon, the AlfaBB rocks!!!
I concur. The "new posts" function is lot harder to sort through now. If the stays that way I'll probably just stick to browsing two of the forums instead of using that function.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Do Not Display eBay listings in New Posts

Add me to the list as well. I think we all search eBay when we want to. I do not need to be bombarded with eBay listings when I search the new posts. OK to keep as a seperate segment but the postings shouldn't appear with "the regular mail."

·
Registered
776 Posts
Also a New Posts user. The eBay Listings are awful.

Is there a [New Posts - eBay Listings] option??

As far as I know, the only way to not see these unwanted New Posts would be to add Simon to my Ignore List. I don't want to do that!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
ebay listings "burying" all other posts; is this a way to raise money?

I also agree with Bill and the other posters... It has made the "New Posts" AND the "Quick Links/Today's Posts" all but unusable by burying all posts in pages of auction listings. I was holding back from commenting to see if there was a way to work with the new feature, or around it, but its pretty clear that there isn't. Besides the sheer number of listings, this new feature is also pulling in products of dubious quality, akin to what one sees on late night TV, which are only marketed to the Alfa crowd by a title gimmick...

Something to note is that I would bet that there is potential revenue for the BB by doing this. That would be a huge factor. There are certainly a select number of items that the BB follows, and it has been an on-going practice for members to start a thread about them. If we could use the member started posting as a basis, perhaps we could make this work? (Duplicating ebay Alfa listings probably would never work, as the ebay search engine and pictures in the search lists results are pretty hard to beat for usability and speed.)

I will also take this opportunity to thank Simon for his dedication an perseverance, and most commendable position to support the BB via voluntary contributions and subscriptions. Furthermore, if there is a way in which a single member can assist, please Simon, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

·
Registered
256 Posts
Add my vote to somehow removing the EBay listings from the "New Posts" listing. Way too confusing for my old eyes and tired brain.

Marcus

·
Registered
325 Posts
ebay listing forum - can it please be removed?

I think it's annoying, and really takes away from the appeal of the Board.
Weren't the new membership levels enough to keep this stuff off the Board?
This is a discussion that should have taken place before this was put into place, but I never saw where it was a proposed suggestion...

John Trevey
Austin TX

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Once I saw the "Alfa Romeo" gas saver I thought *** is this? I don't mind a spot for people to say "Hey" here's a cool car or part but not all 1400 items everyday.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Weren't the new membership levels enough to keep this stuff off the Board?
It is very obvious that the new membership levels, at least at this point, are no where near enough to keep the BB in the black. I just looked and there are 54 Gold members (54 x $20 = $1080) and 71 Platinum members (71 x $50 = $3550) for a grand total of $4630 per year. That comes out to $385 per month, which is not going to sustain a site of this size...

Best regards,

·
Registered
325 Posts
I admit I don't know how much bandwidth costs, but raising almost $5,000 in less than 2 months isn't bad. But we digress. I would prefer to keep the discussion to the latest influx of eBay ads, which I believe negatively impacts the utility of the Board.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
All those e-bay postings in this new Forum seem to have been added by Simon (as an experiment perhaps?)....or for fund raising (presumably). This alone doesn't bother me except that it would be nice to filter out this new "e e-bay" forum when doing the new posts search (as stated by others).

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Whatever Simon has to do to keep this site up and running is fine with me...except for all this ebay stuff.
Nearly impossible to seperate the wheat from the chaff on New Posts now. I'm with the rest, has to be a way to seperate this out from the others.

Keep up the good work Simon. We need you and this board. :)

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
:confused: Is this new forum just automatically listing everything that appears on ebay with "Alfa Romeo" in the title? If so, that seems unnecessary as we could always just do the same search on ebay if we were interested. Here it just seems like a lot of clutter. Since I tend to use the "new posts" feature on the BB it means scanning through more than double the usual amount of posts to find what I'm interested in. Also, since they are almost all posting under Simon's moniker, it has the unintended effect of making me ignore all of his posts to sift through a little more quickly.

I think having a separate ebay section may be a good one for BB members to post their own ebay listings. This would distinguish them from the direct "For Sale" items since posting ebay items in this section seems to be a pet peeve of a lot of people on the board. It also makes sense as a forum for someone other than the seller to call attention to an item that they think others BBr's would find interesting. The way it's currently loading up, though, seems to be a matter of too much information making it too much trouble to sort through. I'm not a whiner and I can certainly adapt if this is the way it is to be but I have a feeling I'm not the only one. And let me take this opportunity to express my appreciation for Simon's hard work in making this such a great site. Obviously it requires some experimentation.;)
Add me to the list of people who doesn't like these new EBay listings.

bs

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I completely concur with the sentiments expressed by Bill S, Enrique and the others.

Here is a controversial thought, however. Some well known suppliers on both sides of the Pond have undoubtedly received some fantastic marketing and sales via word of mouth recommendations on the BB, and I would argue that private and voluntary contributions from them to assist in keeping this portal healthy for the future would not only be courteous but a sensible and inexpensive addition to normal advertising costs. Maybe this is happening already and, if so, I'd expect Simon to maintain his discretion.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am not a fan of everything being dumped on here as I use the new posts function as well, however If after this initial "dump" it will only add new listings every day, this may end up being manageable and useful.

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
I'm not a fan either :( way too much to read through.

Can we have a lounge for Ebay listings? that way we can click on it if we want to view all the posts.

Thanks Simon for the great site :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts