Registered
1,284 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Ebay GTV

Just one question -
How hard is it for a modified 74 GTV to pass the smog test??
I was wondering the exact same thing. I guess it would depend on what kind of mods the car has.

Anyone with a '74 care to chime in?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Smogging a 74

It's tuff but then its not.

I've heard the best thing to do is take it to a alfa mechanic (well experienced) and they'll mess with the thing (honestly don't know what probably the pump, fuel air mixture).

Todd aka 74spider took his to Santos Italian Car service and Santo made his car pass.

I think the mechanic job to make a 74 pass is around over 100 bucks. But ask 74spider.com he knows better.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ebay GTV

smestas said:
I was wondering the exact same thing. I guess it would depend on what kind of mods the car has.

Anyone with a '74 care to chime in?
As far as I know, the '74 California model (or even USA) has a Spica instead of Dual Weber...

wouldn't that fail the VISUAL part of the Smog?

hmmm...:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
smog stuff

car will definately not pass the visual, but 74's will no longer have to be smogged after the first of the year so the dual webers won't be a problem...it's about time. i am throwing weber's on my 74, who else is?
anthony

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: smog stuff

italcarguy said:
car will definately not pass the visual, but 74's will no longer have to be smogged after the first of the year so the dual webers won't be a problem...it's about time. i am throwing weber's on my 74, who else is?
anthony
I got a question...
Do I have to smog a 74 when I buy it, and do I have to smog it every two years after that??

Would I save myself from some troubles if I buy a 73 instead of a 74? I live in Pasadena and according to the California Smog Check website, I live in the ENHANCED smog test area in CA, my smog check has to be done with the most enhanced Bar-97 system... the one with a dyno.

I don't mind installing the spica every other year just to pass the smog check though. I'm worried about removing the camshaft, and other more modifications. And an engine swap that I have in mind... hmm...

Confused...:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
ca smog

to my knowledge, all 74 cars will not have to be smogged as of 1/1/03. if you smogged your car this year, 2002, it will have been the last time. if you were due for smog in 2003, then you will not need it cuz all 74 and older cars are exempt. this is what my smog guys tell me. the most recent one we did was todd's spider (www.74spider.com) he was due for a smog this year and we passed it after playing around with it a little. he no longer needs smog on the car so, if he wants he can throw carbs, headers, cams, etc. on it and not have to worry about the emissions junk.
anthony

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: ca smog

italcarguy said:
to my knowledge, all 74 cars will not have to be smogged as of 1/1/03. anthony
Can somebody please shoot me?? :(

I was wondering whether I should Bid on that car or not, simply because I don't want to smog a 74'

And now it was sold for only $1850...

:(

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Don't give up yet!

I've been watching Alfas (and other cars I'm interested in) on ebay for a few years now. At work, I have dual monitors, & I have to be on the net to perform some of my job functions anyway. Therefore, it's pretty easy for me to monitor stuff on ebay. Anyway, I'd say that at least half of the Alfas that are put up for auction & meet their reserve are relisted because the winning bidder does not follow through with the transaction.

If you're seriously interested in this car, I'd suggest that you drop the seller an e-mail. Tell him you didn't get a chance to bid for whatever reason, but you'd be interested in the car should the winning bidder fail to follow through with the purchase. That way, if the winning bidder doesn't follow through, the owner may let you have a crack at the car before he relists it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Don't give up yet!

mkeith said:
If you're seriously interested in this car, I'd suggest that you drop the seller an e-mail. Tell him you didn't get a chance to bid for whatever reason, but you'd be interested in the car should the winning bidder fail to follow through with the purchase. That way, if the winning bidder doesn't follow through, the owner may let you have a crack at the car before he relists it.
Cool!!! Thank you!!!
I'm going to email the seller now... hehe...

THx

:cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
hey anthony, bring on the carbs. im going to have you guys re-do my engine. in another month i should be able to swing it. i'll let you know. todd

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
hooking up the www.74spider.com spider

i already have some manifolds, just gotta fish out some carbs from the "pile" (literally). a month from now would be good to do your motor, the shop is currenly infested with race cars in for pre-season maintenace. the tz-1 as well as all the other race cars are gonna be in the week before the time trial in case you wanna come check them out before they are put to work at willow.
anthony

·
Registered
92 Posts
smog for a 74

For the past 12 years i have stressed about getting my car to pass smog. I dont know why i stress because every single time the Masters at Santos service pass it with no problems. It is worth $100 every 2 years to get it passed. Thanks anthony! They can even get it passed at the "Test Only " places which was required for my car this year. When i went to the DMV to re-register they confirmed that I will never have to have my car smogged again!!!
This year i plan on having Anthony build me a bad *** street motor including Dual Carbs! cant wait and Thanks again to the Rulers at Santos!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ebay Etc.

The best thing to do is simply never "watch" an auction. Decide what you want to pay and use Sniping software. There are several different versions of such available.

This way you don't bid until the last possible minute ( normally 30 seconds before EOA). You don't drive the price up by bidding early. But again you must decide what the max price you want to pay is.

That being said, I wonder if this is the GTV I just saw @ my mechanics here in Dallas? My mechanic told me that the fellow purchased the car from Ebay. If this is the car then you might be happy that you did not purchase it. It turns out the car had quite a bit of rust. It will be a nice car when restored.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
$1850 '74 GTV on eBay

Greetings!

I'm new to this forum. I am the proud owner of a 1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce! (I love saying the full name) Actually, I own two '67 GTV's, but only one is driveable.

Anyways, regarding this find on eBay, I clicked on the link listed in the first post and was surpised to find that I know who the buyer is. He is a long-time Alfa nut, having owned well over 30 over the years. I'll bet he will restore this puppy and sell it once he tires of it. He always finds these great deals too!

Speaking of smog checks, the lady at the DMV repeatedly reminded me that my '67 didn't need to be smogged (tell me something I didn't know) because she had four cars that need smog in the same month. I am getting my Spider smogged on Monday because I just sold it on eBay. I made a deal with my wife, she let me buy a GTV on eBay if I sell my Spider. heh

Nice to 'meet' y'all!

Kai Schorr
--------------------
1967 GTV
1967 GTV

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
In reply to Rodney

This '74 GTV is heading to my friend's in So Cal. I've gotta give him a call and see if he knows of this car's racing history.

I couldn't trust my unreliable sniping software to buy an Alfa for me! When I won my white GTV, it was a heart thumper! The auction attracted mediocre interest until the last few hours. I duked it out with one guy until the very end.

Actually the same thing happened when I just sold my Spider on eBay. The winner jumped in with just 1-1/2 minutes left.

I must confess, besides my wife, (of course), my two favorite things are Alfa's and eBay. Does this mean I'll have to join two support groups?

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
:eek:That is a nice looking car, the engine bay looks clean, the interior looks pretty mint, and the body looks fairly straight. With a good amount of bodywork and good quality paint, that car would look real sharp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts