Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, just won this ashtray off of Ebay that was listed as "NEW" from Jon Norman of Alfa parts in Berkeley. Im just not feeling the love on this purchase. Opinions?:confused: Now Im not trying to besmirch anyones rep but this doesnt seem to be new to me.:mad:

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,332 Posts
Was it listed as NOS (New Old Stock)?

NOS is different than new in the conventional sense, it implies it is an old part that has been stored for many years but not ever been "used" on a car.
Sometimes NOS parts get a little dirty and dusty from being stored all those years.

Joe

·
Registered
612 Posts
that was NOS or NEW?
Because your pictures are not showing a "new" product

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not new, but the metal on the front looks pretty nice compared to my 78 (dull from years of wear). From the first pic the front looks shiny and unscratched, at least...the auction said "New Old Stock" in the description, but the subject line only had "new" so it could have been misread.

Looks like it was stored out of any bag or box it may have originally shipped in. Are there any outward signs of use (ashes in the tray, broken handle, etc.?) If so that's something to discuss with the seller. I just looked at his FB and prior auctions, they apparently almost all say "NEW" when they mean NOS. (They do say NOS in the description).

That rusted screw in the 2nd photo really bothers me though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ashtray

This was listed as new old stock with minor scratches from storage. Its also different from the one in the photo. This is pretty rusty and there is some discoloration on the part next to the lighter opening that looks like "heat" exposure? Maybe Im being a little too picky? Its about the same shape as my current assembly. I think I'll just chalk it up to poor ebay skills on my part.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have purchased items from a major ebay alfa vendor that arrived damaged and clearly were not the same as pictured. I returned them and eventually recieved usable parts, but not until enough time had passed to make the feedback positive. A prolonged process. No more ebayparts for me, if at all possible.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Have you contacted the seller? I received a supposed NOS Spider manual from Jon (not on Ebay, via his website) and it was not in very good condition. I simply contacted them and returned it - they sent another copy in fantastic condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts