Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change out the oil pan gasket on my '85 GTV-6. I am not mechanically endowed. but I want to change all that. This job looks easy enough; back off some bolts, take off the old gasket, put on the new. But I'd like to know what to look for.

Do I scrape off the old gasket? With a putty knife? Use gasket sealant on the new one? If so, what is the recommended brand? Anything else I should check while I'm in there? What torque when i replace the bolts? Thanks.

Sam

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
There's a VERY particular order to removing and replacing the bolts, if my experience with other cars is relevant here. Not to mention the wicked precise torque - just enough to prevent leakage, not enough to damage the gasket. Tougher than it looks, especially if you're using jack stands.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If removing the bottom pan, 20-30 minute job. remove teh 10mm bolts, remove teh pan, scrape the gasket off, buy a new one from a suuplier, international-auto.com is one, put it in place and tighten the bolts. If you are talking about the main gasket, then that is a diff. story. You are to remove the motor mount bolts, jack up the engine enough to be able to remove the bolts. Remember that you will need to remove the motor mount brackets on teh engine block to get the two bolts under neat, one on each side. Also will need to remove alternator to remove the other one. Remove the oil pan for the other side and so on. Teh front covers for the timing will need to be removed also.

Hope this helped.

I'm about to change out the oil pan gasket on my '85 GTV-6. I am not mechanically endowed. but I want to change all that. This job looks easy enough; back off some bolts, take off the old gasket, put on the new. But I'd like to know what to look for.

Do I scrape off the old gasket? With a putty knife? Use gasket sealant on the new one? If so, what is the recommended brand? Anything else I should check while I'm in there? What torque when i replace the bolts? Thanks.

Sam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts