Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was extremely sorry to see the devastation in Christchurch on the news last night. Having lived in earthquake 'country' for most of my life - though never having been through a quake of this magnitude - I dread the day when a quake such as this one hits my area.

Hopefully no one in Christchurch - or those close to them - on the ABB was involved.

Biba

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm also in earthquake country - Huntington Beach, CA.

I saw the reports on the news this morning, they were saying something like 60+ people were killed. That is a lot of people for an earthquake in a developed country.

Strangely the first thing I thought of was this BB as I've always noticed a large contingent of New Zealanders here....thus the first thing I thought of was them. I hope everyone on the boards here who is from NZ is OK, they and the overall population of the area affected are in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Strangely the first thing I thought of was this BB as I've always noticed a large contingent of [Kiwis ;)] here....thus the first thing I thought of was them. I hope everyone on the boards here who is from NZ is OK, they and the overall population of the area affected are in our thoughts and prayers.
+1 from the City of Perpetual Destruction. Funny how the internet makes you feel like you really know some of these guys, they too were the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. Plus, my sister lived there for 6 months, and really talked it up. Hope everyone is okay.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks guys,
I live 1 hour drive from the center of this quake and we really felt it. My friends and family that live there are ok.
Hope all the christchurch members on here are ok.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Absolutely guys, our hearts go out to all in NZ but especially in Christchurch and the surrounding area. As a BB member from across the ditch to see the level of destruction and so regrettably the number of fatalities it is so horrible and I kind of feel powerless to help out.

Having been to NZ many times, and loving the country, including Christchurch, I feel really sad. I do hope that members such as Richard (aka Alfavirusnz) etc are all ok.

How the city is going to cope let alone recover after this earthquake, on top of the previous one in September I just don't know. We were only over there last August, and I so loved visiting central Christchurch with all its heritage buildings etc. I hate to think of how much destruction there is and what will be left.

We will definitely be back in NZ as soon as it is possible. In the meantime take care over there. Dave

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Thanks Paul, re-assuring to know. I just read his post.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,881 Posts
Thanks chaps. Quite scary really the big shake and Davey I don`t think you`ll be wandering around any historic buildings when you come over again-they are all now a pile of rubble. Luckily where I live absolutely no structural or infrastructure damage but CBD and Eastern part of town trashed. Fortunately for me our factory also came through relatively unscathed and I can fulfill existing orders plus sell. I just have to forget my local market and my projections and concentrate on the rest of NZ. Bit of a bugger really as we were on track for another record year but very very grateful to have escaped unharmed and still have income unlike the many unfortunate souls that no longer have a business or a workplace or indeed got crushed by several tons of rubble. The implications of this are huge unfortunately.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for all the words of support

Dont really know what to say. Unlike so many in CHCH my family and friends in CHCH are actually physically not to bad off, but mentally it hard to judge. My sisa-in-law works in the Cathedral Square and was there when the cathedral colapsed. Sadly there were also people there in the way. On the way home there were also similar things that you would not wish on any BMW or Lexus driver. Im thanking someone as my job takes me inside these damaged buildings and there would have been a pretty high change I would have been in one of the previousally damaged buildings that are now rubble but luckily the wife, boy and me had decided to come back to Auckland on Sunday rather than Tuesday. I feel guilty that we have got of so lightly and so many others are having to go through hell down there.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,881 Posts
Pure luck (or lack of it) enabled some to escape while others perished-no rhyme or reason for it. Certainly the CBD is trashed and so are some arts of Eastern suburbs but there are more unaffected than those who suffered physical damage bodily or possessions. Easy to focus on the negative but most Christchurch people and their homes and workplaces have NOT been significantly affected. It is too easy to focus on the negative and we all wish to get on with things.
Everybody`s well wishes are appreciated and taken to heart but life goes on and lthough a monster repair job we will get there. We just ned people to buy our goods and still visit our region.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thank you fabiogtv6. What we need now is people to buy our goods to get back up and running as soon as-most of our factories and the rural hinterland are unaffected.

·
Registered
136 Posts
howdy Richard-good to know your fine...was a pretty hairy scene getting out of our office into High Street Mall and then out of the CBD-not something I need to see again!
Cheers Haden

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm somewhat hesistant to bring this up, but were there rertrofitting codes so that these older historic buildings had a better chance of surviving an earthquake? They have these codes in California and most likely other states. However that doesn't mean everyone has followed through with the retrofiting, nor that the work done will be enough to keep them standing during a major earthquake. Fairly close to me is Old Town Pasadena which went through a (yuppie) renaissance a number of years ago, requiring this work to be done. However, I can't fathom how drilling holes in brick walls every so many feet and installing a metal rod with washers on either end is going to do all that much good. However there are fairly subtle steel beams installed in many buildings.

I realize this isn't the time to be talking about what should have been done - and perhaps it had been in Christchurch - but it is only a matter of time before these retrofits are tested here.

I'm not a big bucks up guy but if those in Christchurch and NZ in general market to the US, I'm sure you'll find buyers, including myself. Alfa never quite figured the marketing part out here.

Hopefully no news is good news regarding ABBers and their families in Christchurch.

MarkAsh, never feel guilty for not being there, just help those that you can.

Biba

·
Registered
136 Posts
Problem is each council or "TA" has adopted what we call passive policies which do not require strengthening of old buildings except when their owners (and developer owners) seek new building consents for alterations...so most owners learn to route about the rules when altering.

There should be tougher standards and tougher enforcement of the above, really the whole "Construction Bill" needs a resort.

All that said aparently the ground motion from this 6.3 quake was over what we expect for a 1000 year return period... we design for a 475-year return period...which means i guess we are kinda lucky to be here at all!

Cheers Haden

·
Registered
321 Posts
Problem is each council or "TA" has adopted what we call passive policies which do not require strengthening of old buildings except when their owners (and developer owners) seek new building consents for alterations...so most owners learn to route about the rules when altering.

There should be tougher standards and tougher enforcement of the above, really the whole "Construction Bill" needs a resort.

All that said aparently the ground motion from this 6.3 quake was over what we expect for a 1000 year return period... we design for a 475-year return period...which means i guess we are kinda lucky to be here at all!

Cheers Haden
Great to hear you are fine Haden and Richard, wondered how things went.

Sorry to hear you were in the CBD when it hit Haden, must have been a nightmare. Hope no-one close to you was injured or worse.

Thoughts with you, Aaron

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok Haden. For those who don`t know Haden`s (architect) office is right in the middle of town within a 2 storey historic building on the top floor. It must of been extremely "hairy" Haden. I presume you biked in that day as norm thus avoiding the absolute gridlock after the event. Would you have lost plans and drawings?
How`s my old GTV6 by the way?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi ya Richard-thankfully all data mirrored to a remote server, have set up another office over the weekend city end of Blenheim road and back into gear which is great!-our building ok but around not so and yeap pretty hairy down on the ground in High Street Mall, I guess with that hotel leaning and the state of buildings around we wont be back for a few months..and yeap thru. all that i still managed to bike home after lending a hand!
GTV6 going strong-really enjoy it-Peter Geary recently had the rear brakes rebuilt for me - new rotors/pistons and handbrake cable so its had a birthday of sorts...best purchase ive made in yonks...even Rachel likes it! hope that factory is up and running again...Cheers Haden

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Great to hear you are safe and up and running workwise. We were lucky too and apart from no water for a couple of days factory up and running. Very lucky we do no rely on just ChCh market too (like yourself). I told you that GTV6 was a good one despite its obvious weaknesses-happy to see you are enjoying it. What about the other cars-ok?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts